Help with how to cull a Rooster you are attached to

How do you do it with clippers?
Well I read your profile saying you want to get alot more animals. Maybe you are at your limit. I have tons of roosters and hens....only have a problem with two that rape chickens together and either the goose or my Ayam Cemani stops them if I dont get to them. I dont know why those chickens are so expensive...they are just different...no superior...but they dont really act like a regular rooster. He never rapes hens and I rarely see him with another hen besides his mate.

Big hedge clippers on the neck and one fast motion. Do it with a small flower trimmers and it won't go as easy. They don't give as much leverage for a good clean swift cut.

And honestly, as I type this, I still think of how much I hate doing it. But around here there are no places to send roos to that won't kill them for food so I really have no choice.

I have a dominant Breese rooster going on 3 years, he is very cool. He will stand near me, but doesn't like to be touched. A lot of roosters before him used to do the leg shuffle and like to attack my feet. That's why I am also having a hard time, but I have too many chickens and I must stick to my rotation plan.

I have a goal and must stick to it, regardless.................He will be the first to go this Sunday, followed by his hens. I need to make room for the next generation. I cross bred a Breese with a Cornish X and want to establish this line.

You might find this helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/one-cull-cockerel.1512131/

To take a life is always a serious thing, worthy of respect and solemnity. I find the knowledge that the chicken didn't suffer and that the end was quick helpful. I caught Yellow, held and petted him until he was calm, telling him that he was a good bird and that he'd had a good life but that it was now time.

Then he was dead before he had time to register that he was in danger.

I also take comfort in using every part without waste.

You might find this helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/one-cull-cockerel.1512131/

To take a life is always a serious thing, worthy of respect and solemnity. I find the knowledge that the chicken didn't suffer and that the end was quick helpful. I caught Yellow, held and petted him until he was calm, telling him that he was a good bird and that he'd had a good life but that it was now time.

Then he was dead before he had time to register that he was in danger.

I also take comfort in using every part without waste.
Very well said. I feel the exact same.

In that link, pay very special attention to this post if you intend on culling.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/one-cull-cockerel.1512131/post-25428113

This helped a bit, Tho I did further reasearch and seen I can do something called a ''Batchler Pad'' Where you can keep Roosters together with NO Hens, And I might do this, But if it does come to culling I will use this method, My 2 D'Uccle Roosters, 1 Cackle Toppie Rooster and 1 Mottled Houdan Rooster thank you
This might work well. I've had males penned together where they could still see females from the main flock, but they did well. Granted they were for culling anyways, but they still didnt fight in the pad.
They're tree branch clippers. Basically you use the the same way

From a logical view point Chickens eat 1/4 lb a day or a 50 lb bag every 200 days provided you have no waste. To put that in perspective 4 hens will give you 15 dozen eggs ($30-60) eating the same amount of food as 4 roosters. I only raise auto sexing breeds so I can get rid of the cockerels before I invest much money in them. Unlike hens, a rooster only puts food on the table once. Dispatched quickly and humanely you'll have no regrets.

Back
Top Bottom