Help with how to cull a Rooster you are attached to

Mr Oviraptor

Songster
Dec 9, 2021
Hi everyone and im having issues as I have wayyyyy to many Roosters and ive grown attachted to them all, Im getting more Pullets soon but It would be awhile till they could go out with the rest of the flock, So ive thought of just going ahead and culling some of the Roosters, How do you do it without feeling bad?

If you're in any way attached to them and have never culled before, I'm not sure you can do it without feeling bad, at least a little bit.
We have culled many animals here and it does get a bit easier each time, though we have yet to cull a beloved pet. Hopefully we never have to.

My roosters im not attached to unless i feel they deserve to live the rest of their lives otherwise i process them without thinking about it most of the time i dont have time to think because processing takes forever lol i did have to cull my oldish rooster as he had crop issues and wasnt getting better but did him like the others

If you are attached to them too much, it might be better to rehome them. I post my unwanted roosters on craigslist for free and can usually get them picked up in a few days. But I do live in a pretty populated area. Besides that, I'm aware a lot of my roosters are going to be eaten, and I'm ok with that, I can just hope that the person is treating them with respect and killing them humanely. I have culled a few of my roosters though, when I couldn't get them rehomed. It's been a few years. I used the broomstick method so there was no blood and it's fairly straight forward. It wasn't easy and I cried after culling them, even though I wasn't attached to either one. I said a prayer for them before culling them and each one I know I gave a painless quick death. I would not like to cull an animal again unless I absolutely have to. It's rough. I watched videos on the broomstick method to learn how to do it, btw.

If you are attached to them too much, it might be better to rehome them. I post my unwanted roosters on craigslist for free and can usually get them picked up in a few days. But I do live in a pretty populated area. Besides that, I'm aware a lot of my roosters are going to be eaten, and I'm ok with that, I can just hope that the person is treating them with respect and killing them humanely. I have culled a few of my roosters though, when I couldn't get them rehomed. It's been a few years. I used the broomstick method so there was no blood and it's fairly straight forward. It wasn't easy and I cried after culling them, even though I wasn't attached to either one. I said a prayer for them before culling them and each one I know I gave a painless quick death. I would not like to cull an animal again unless I absolutely have to. It's rough. I watched videos on the broomstick method to learn how to do it, btw.
This helped a bit, Tho I did further reasearch and seen I can do something called a ''Batchler Pad'' Where you can keep Roosters together with NO Hens, And I might do this, But if it does come to culling I will use this method, My 2 D'Uccle Roosters, 1 Cackle Toppie Rooster and 1 Mottled Houdan Rooster thank you

Hi everyone and im having issues as I have wayyyyy to many Roosters and ive grown attachted to them all, Im getting more Pullets soon but It would be awhile till they could go out with the rest of the flock, So ive thought of just going ahead and culling some of the Roosters, How do you do it without feeling bad?
Have you possibly thought about putting the extra rooster's in a bachelor pen? That way you could keep them until more hen's can join them.
I've had to. It isn't easy. It does get easier over time if you remember that it's all a part of farming. We here find it easier to use clippers. Job is done in an instant and we k ow they felt no pain.

Id be on fb rehoming him. Where do you live? I had a rooster Tony who attacked me everyday...and drew blood. One day I found him dead two years ago and I still get upset.I would never murder a rooster.....its like killing a dog at the pound because they have to make room for other dogs. Its exactly like that. I think if you kill him you will feel bad because you killed him He had only one life...and you took it away. Sorry but I love all my chickens, ducks and even the horrible geese. They only have one life and they have a right to live it. After all....what else do animals have?

Back
Top Bottom