Help With Idea

RollTideChicken

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
North Alabama
I have seven eight week old chicks and I need to build/buy something to move them out into. Think of it like a new chicken holding area or maybe like a "grow-out pen," if that makes sense...
I need it to be:
1. movable
2. smallish (not bigger than 8x8)
3. possibly easy to tear down and rebuild if necessary
4. some protection from the elements
5. coon and opossum proof
I've probably not thought of it all...

I'm game for any idea. Will need to buy all materials and I'm decent at building functional stuff...pretty not so much.

Thanks in advance!

Consider a small plastic/vinyl shed. New ones are pricey, but relatively cheap used ones can be found on Craigslist. They are typically no bigger than 7x7, and usually smaller. Lightweight, easy to assemble.disassemble, fully enclosed, secure

Is this for them to live outside next to existing flock before integration?
Tposts, livestock panels, hardware cloth, and tarps.
If HC is attached to panels and ends are constructed creatively and with forethought you could break it all down. Storing the parts might be a challenge.

Is this for them to live outside next to existing flock before integration?
Tposts, livestock panels, hardware cloth, and tarps.
If HC is attached to panels and ends are constructed creatively and with forethought you could break it all down. Storing the parts might be a challenge.
Yes this will be exactly a holding/integration/grow-out pen. I plan to eventually raise chickens and sell them as whatever pets or meat. What is the sq ft required for maybe up to 10 week old birds? I heard this one dude raising 20 broilers in a 36sq.ft pen and they are prob 8 weeks at least before processing - that's only 1.8sq.ft/bird.
I wish we'd thought about how you mentioned building what I need...but we've already started on the build.

Sq ft required is subjective.
Can depend on how you manage the aspects of cleaning, feed/water, brooder heat etc.
I'd make it as big as is manageable/affordable, in case those chicks don't sell fast, or to use for other populations.
Wait, 10 one week old birds?

Sq ft required is subjective.
Can depend on how you manage the aspects of cleaning, feed/water, brooder heat etc.
I'd make it as big as is manageable/affordable, in case those chicks don't sell fast, or to use for other populations.
Wait, 10 one week old birds?
He said a 6x6 (36sq.ft.) was enough for 20 broilers which I think are raised until 8-10 weeks old. I was wondering how many 10ish week old birds I could keep in a 48sq.ft. pen. It will be mobile...

Back
Top Bottom