Help with ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HuntEmUp, Aug 31, 2014.

1. HuntEmUp

HuntEmUp Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Fl panhandle
    Hey y'all! I was hoping someone could help me with some ideas for a chicken coop. I have been looking at plans all day on here, pinterest, & doing web searches. We live on over 15 acres and my chickens all free range. I am looking for something that is easy to build & will provide shelter at night, since that is the only time they go up. My babies (13 Blue Andalusians & 2 Barred Rocks) have outgrown the pen I was using for them. I am looking for something that can also be broken down & moved easily, since we will be moving soon. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    My vote would be a small shed. With 15 birds, they need 60 sq feet or so, which is about 8x8. If you can get a shed a little bigger, it will have some room for hay, feed, supplies etc. Sheds can be moved with a trailer, so you can take it with you when you go, and it can be moved around from field to field as you rotate the chickens around. You could also use a trailer as the coop. Find a 6x10 trailer and convert it to a coop. Very easy to move.

3. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    For portability, consider building it in separate panels that are bolted together: one panel for each side and one for the roof. Just be careful of the weight of the panels. I built mine like that in the garage, then took it apart for the move to the yard. Disassembly and reassembly took 1 hour with two people.

You could probably go a little smaller on the size, say 6ft x 8ft since they'll only spend nights in it and won't have to endure winters cooped inside it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by