Help with identifying chicks

Kharney

Hatching
Jun 30, 2022
We incubated chicks for the first time and now we need help seeing if they are males or females. Anyone able to tell from these pictures?

Attachments

• 3684A91E-5B74-4A91-9D15-20DCA7C808DC.jpeg
    3684A91E-5B74-4A91-9D15-20DCA7C808DC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
They are 6 weeks old. I am not even sure what exactly breeds they all are. We know our selection for breeds are barred rock, americauna, golden comets, rhode island red and buff orpingtons.

They are 6 weeks old. I am not even sure what exactly breeds they all are. We know our selection for breeds are barred rock, americauna, golden comets, rhode island red and buff orpingtons.
First two are EEs/Americaunas, third is a BR, and last one is a RSL/golden comet. The BR is definitely a boy. Wait and see for the second chick, I’m thinking boy for that one too.

First two are EEs/Americaunas, third is a BR, and last one is a RSL/golden comet. The BR is definitely a boy. Wait and see for the second chick, I’m thinking boy for that one too.
Thanks so much for your help! I was thinking the second chick was a boy also. The second chick stands tall and his tail feathers are different than the others. What do I look at in the BR one that indicates boy?

What do I look at in the BR one that indicates boy?
The amount of red in the comb and wattles is a good indication that he is male (works on most breeds).
The size of the comb and wattles may be an indication (works on some breeds).

And for that specific chick, the amount of white vs. black in his barring is what really makes it clear that he is a male. A female would have to be darker (more black/less white.)

The barring gene is located on the Z sex chromosome. Roosters have ZZ, hens have ZW.
So either gender is able to have one copy of the barring gene, which causes one amount of white. But only a male can have two copies of the barring gene, which causes more white (like your cockerel.)

The amount of red in the comb and wattles is a good indication that he is male (works on most breeds).
The size of the comb and wattles may be an indication (works on some breeds).

And for that specific chick, the amount of white vs. black in his barring is what really makes it clear that he is a male. A female would have to be darker (more black/less white.)

The barring gene is located on the Z sex chromosome. Roosters have ZZ, hens have ZW.
So either gender is able to have one copy of the barring gene, which causes one amount of white. But only a male can have two copies of the barring gene, which causes more white (like your cockerel.)
Thank you soooo much for that explanation! Soo very helpful! I am new to this so just wanted to learn how to tell and that all makes complete sense!

Back
Top Bottom