1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with leg bands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Someone told me that I could purchase metal leg bands and a tool that will imprint whatever I want onto the band. I would like to put the birthdate on each chicken so I can tell how old they are.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this, or know where I can buy the band and tools?

2. acdoc

acdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    i havent ever banded any but i seen some chickens that were banded at a young age and the bands were never removed and the skin growed around it and swelled their legs up. I dont think you would want to do it unless you plan on removing them periodicaly and putting new ones on

3. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Hmmm, I don't think I like the idea of metal bands, since metal can cut their legs.

I'm seeing a lot of internet posts that say they prefer bandettes, which are made of plastic. You can still write on them. I've also seen info about using zip ties, which you can buy at WalMart, Target, etc. for cheap & you can still write on those as well.

But no matter what you decide on, you still have to watch out for their growth so that the leg bands don't get too small for their leg. (And then, you've got more problems than just trying to ID them.)

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:Specially imprinted bands would be VERY expensive. You might do better by just using colored bandettes and keeping written records of the number and birth. You can find a variety of bands (including wing bands) here:

http://www.poultrymansupply.com/2007Legbands.htm

5. thedreamers

thedreamers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    We use different colored zip ties for our. They are cheap and we get a good deal on them at the flea market. Also easy to change out if it gets tight, we leave some growing room on the small ones.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Wing bands do not hold the growth hazards of leg bands, however numbered bands are much more ecconomical than imprinting kits. Record keeping is a good practice and easily done with numbered bands that can also be had in various colors. Plastic bandettes or colored zip ties should be used until the chick is at least 8 weeks old. Then wing bands are permanent. I`ve used a variety of bands and find wing bands suit me best. There is also a tatoo kit available that you can cusomize for the info you want. Never tried it, but the tatoo is permanent and applied to the skin under the wing......Pop

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Depending on exactly what you are after, another method that might work for you is toe punching. It is not as easily seen as a colored band, but you can keep up to 16 different records with this method and it is permanent. Just another option you might want to consider.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=126202

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used zip ties when the some of the birds were chicks but checked them a lot since the chicks grow so fast. I put the bands on them when they were about 3 months old. The band were loose and a couple of the birds did manage to get them off but not at the same time so I just put the bands back on. Now I buy leg bands. The birds grow so fast I just order the adult size of what ever breed I want to band. Also when banding using the same colors of bands I put one on the right leg on one bird and one on the left leg of another bird. I have also put a different color on both legs of a bird. I use colored plastic spiral leg bands. I have read of some one using nail polish on the bird’s toenails. Here is where I have bought some of my leg bands.

http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
    "The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
    1602 Salem Road
    DuBois, PA 15801
    (814)-583-5374
    Email: [email protected]

Also, I have also bought some here and also have some friends who get there bands from Cutler’s Pheasant and Poultry Supply
    http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=mmlpici05da0e2diif7vqg1te1

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
    No. Band Size Physical Size Fits
    2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
    3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
    4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
    5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
    6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
    7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
    9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
    10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
    11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
    12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
    14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I get the bandettes from Cutler's and just make a note of who gets what number. I do recommend the lighter colors- I got the blue and they are so dark it's hard to read the number.

If you wait until they're on the roost at night it's much easier to clip them on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by