Help with loud rooster!

elizabethjg

Chirping
Mar 27, 2016
Texas
I have a sex link rooster, but I can't have roosters where I live due to the crowing. Is there anything I can do to make him quiet? I've seen the NoCrowRoosterCollar on youtube, but some roosters are still very loud while wearing the collar. My rooster is a very large, and very loud boy. Any help is appreciated!

Sorry to suggest this, but re homing is about the only practical solution. He is too old to be turned into a capon, and there is an alternate solution, but it is gruesome and cruel, I WOULD NEVER DO.
I cant keep roosters ether where I live.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to suggest this, but re homing is about the only practical solution. He is too old to be turned into a capon, and there is an alternate solution, but it is gruesome and cruel, I WOULD NEVER DO.
I cant keep roosters ether where I live.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Well thanks, and what's a capon?

A capon is a rooster less than 10 weeks old that has its testicles removed. It grows up looking different than a rooster and does not crow. Read up on the subject of caponizing (There are threads here on BYC.) and you will know the procedure. Its not pleasant. Its done without anesthesia.

A capon is a rooster less than 10 weeks old that has its testicles removed. It grows up looking different than a rooster and does not crow. Read up on the subject of caponizing (There are threads here on BYC.) and you will know the procedure. Its not pleasant. Its done without anesthesia.

Oh that sounds horrible!

I don't believe the no crow collars work. - When they first came out some collars were on too loose and the roosters got their toes caught in it, trying to get it off. If they are too tight it can choke the bird. I know there used to be a vet that offered de-crowed roosters for $ 200 each, various breeds. I think that's too much money for a bird that might not even be close to breed standards/ or may turn out to be aggressive etc.

Back
Top Bottom