Help with "micro" duck

Socc04b

Chirping
Aug 2, 2016
I have 5 ducklings, born between last Sunday and Thursday. The last (Bonsai) had some troubles (namely a tiny air cell). I ended up helping her out. Her yolk was absorbed, but her umbilical was still spotting a bit. She is super tiny, and not as active as the other 4. Her eyes look dull when compared to the other 4. She walks, although much slower, grooms herself, eats/drinks, and poops. She searches out her siblings and snuggles with them. She is easily 1/4 the size of the eldest. Should I be giving her extra nutrition? If so, what? I'm giving them all vitamin/electrolyte water as well as plain water. Thanks and thanks to those that helped on the thread about her hatching and my worries about her size
img_0774-jpg.1080073

img_0791-jpg.1080069

I have 5 ducklings, born between last Sunday and Thursday. The last (Bonsai) had some troubles (namely a tiny air cell). I ended up helping her out. Her yolk was absorbed, but her umbilical was still spotting a bit. She is super tiny, and not as active as the other 4. Her eyes look dull when compared to the other 4. She walks, although much slower, grooms herself, eats/drinks, and poops. She searches out her siblings and snuggles with them. She is easily 1/4 the size of the eldest. Should I be giving her extra nutrition? If so, what? I'm giving them all vitamin/electrolyte water as well as plain water. Thanks and thanks to those that helped on the thread about her hatching and my worries about her size
img_0774-jpg.1080073

img_0791-jpg.1080069
She will be alright in few days as i have experienced in hen chicks that some born small and slow but later are more active then siblings. As far as extra nutrition is concerned, let her be natural but feed them with rich things e.g. boiled egg crush or so. Boiled egg crush is such a helpful feed i have experienced. Thanks

I received two ducklings hatched on the same day from Metzers last spring and the Cayuga easily looked at least week behind the other in growth. This delay continued to be present in feathering, quacking, etc. Now a year later she's very slightly larger than the WH she was shipped with. Initially I thought there was a mistake in hatch dates, but the WH looked like your average 3 day old...the Cayuga was just micro mini. Worried about her but she plugged along and is an outstanding, healthy, full grown bird

Back
Top Bottom