Help with mites please?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by timco, Jun 9, 2011.

1. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    One of our girls was on the nest and I noticed mites in and out of her feathers around her eye. What can be applied to solve this?

Thanks, Tim

2. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    I'm curious about this too. The mites we have are little red ones - I think they came in with the lumber we used to build the coop. We've been putting down DE but not sure it's working. I still get crawlies on me when I go into the run or hold the chickens.

Anyone have additional suggestions?

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ivermectin for cattle. Put 6 drops between the shoulder blades for large fowl, 4 drops for bantams. At the same time, scrub out the coop really well and treat with Sevin dust. I added new shavings and liberally sprinkled the whole deal with DE. You have to retreat with the drops after 2 weeks to kill all the young mites.

THey also make a poultry dust that you can dust the chickens with.

4. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    This is a helpful post for all sorts of ailments, including mites. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=517234&p=1

I just discovered I have mites as well. I was nursing my sick pullet last night when I noticed the creepy crawlies around her face and eye. Unfortuneatly she died last night. A mite infestation can basically suck a chicken dry, so it is a serious matter. There are several courses of action you can take. I'm using ivermectin because that's what I could get my hands on. You have to treat all of your birds and you also have to thoroughly clean and treat your coop. DE is more of a preventative. If they have mites already it won't do much. Good luck!

5. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Thanks! I just found some "poultry dust" in the garage (apparently hubbie got this some time ago). I also found Sevin-5, is this the same as Sevin?

I'll try the poultry dust tomorrow - hopefully it will do the trick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by