Help with my 10 week old Pekin!!

MDot23

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
I give all my ducks the right protein feed, the good niacin supplement for their water, and give peas daily to help. All my other ducks are fine but my Pekin boy Snow is getting worse. I don’t want to give up on him. He barley walks, he stumbles, uses his beak to push on the ground to help get his body up, his legs are shaky. He sits most of the day, and he can’t keep up with the other ducks. He seems stressed all the time. He can’t run or nothing. Today he has gotten worse. I have to help him every day with eating and drinking. I’m afraid he’s living life in pain. What else can I do for him? I’ve tried giving him extra niacin and it doesn’t help him, what else could this be?

How much does he weigh? You could try giving some b complex for cattle orally. Give 0.23 ml per pound of bodyweight 3 times a day.

Peas don't actually have very much niacin in them, so they don't really help much. They are good treat, but not good for supplementing niacin.

What are you feeding them?

Last edited:
How old is Snow? You say your supplementation with niacin can you tell us which one pic maybe. When duckling are struggling we rec liquid b complex it works better and faster. Giving it over something like peas or dried meal worms assures he is getting full dose to water can dilute so best to give it out of water. Best place to get this liquid is TSC in the cattle dept. it will say injectable but we give it orally. Use a 1 ml dropper or syringe to get it out of the bottle once the foil is removed.

Last edited:
I am feeding the Dumor grower/finisher with 15% protein... and this is the supplement I am giving since the day I got them all. He is 10 weeks old in a few days... I have not weighed him, I will have to get a weigher today when I go get what you guys have recommended! I am on this group on Facebook that swears that peas would help him. I’m glad to know now that they don’t help. He is also getting sores on the bottom of his feet(like bed sores, it doesn’t look like bumble foot) would bag balm help with that? It takes forever to upload a picture where I live! I’m sorry for delayed responses!

Attachments

• 08281CDF-7E1F-41F8-8F53-3DF34AEA2ED7.jpeg
    08281CDF-7E1F-41F8-8F53-3DF34AEA2ED7.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 7
I am feeding the Dumor grower/finisher with 15% protein
Is it labeled for ducks? If not, it does not contain enough niacin for Pekin ducks.
and this is the supplement I am giving since the day I got them all. He is 10 weeks old in a few days.
I don't think that supplement has enough niacin.
I am on this group on Facebook that swears that peas would help him. I’m glad to know now that they don’t help.
Yeah, the actual amount of niacin in them is not much. :(
He is also getting sores on the bottom of his feet(like bed sores, it doesn’t look like bumble foot) would bag balm help with that?
That could be a huge part of the problem. Please do get some pictures of the feet so we can advise the best course of treatment.

I will upload a picture of his feet when I can! Yes that feed has no niacin, I supplement the feed with the rooster booster, and supplement the water that has niacin in it. And with all that it adds up to be the right amount for them. My other three ducks are 1 appleyard and 2 Rouens.

rooster booster, and supplement the water that has niacin in it.
Which rooster booster, the powder or the liquid? And what do you put in the water, that yellow powder? Not positive, but I don't think it has much niacin. It also has electrolytes, which is not something you want to use daily.

A lot of things have niacin like peas and dandelion greens but to get the amount a duckling would need they would have to eat a lot to get the necessary amount. I’d get liquid b complex at TSC its in the cattle section it will say injectable but remove the foil and use a dropper to get the liquid out put it over the peas or dried meal worms so he gets full dose. Diluted in water waters it down too much.

The rooster booster I use is the one that looks like little crumbles. The niacin on the back of the yellow packet says 2,500 mg. But you mix the whole packet in a one gallon jug and then mix 3 tsp per gallon. So I don’t need to use that daily? They drink plain water throughout the day too, so they always get fresh plain water. And the mixed water.
Maybe that Facebook group I’m in doesn’t know what they are talking about!?! I’m so glad I came here for advice besides going there. Thank you all for your help, I went and got the liquid b complex

Back
Top Bottom