Help with my Chicken's (broken?) leg!

I know this is an older thread, but one of our Rhodies just lost the use of her leg yesterday after something scared them into flying out from under our deck. She is acting the same as yours was, eating, drinking, but barely moving much. She gets up, but can only hop about a foot before laying back down. we can't feel anything out of place or find any sign of injury. Did your chicken ever get well? Was it just a sprain that healed after a few days? I would be grateful for an update as our little Cherry was our first layer and is the most quiet and sweet of our flock.

@kentgreff - Did your Domi ever get well? My Rhodie just slipped her right leg yesterday and we are having the same problem, but I can't get many people to answer my own thread about the issue. If it was a sprain did it just clear up on its own after a few days, or did it get worse?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Rhodie - in our case we never did know what exactly happened and she didn't make it.

We separated her and kept her fed an watered, gave her lots of treats and while she didn't seem in bad shape other than the limp leg she turned for the worse overnight one day after 2 weeks.

Can you get a vet to look?

Not sure of any local vets that treat livestock. Our hen has continued to limp over these 3 weeks only using the leg as a slight crutch. She eats, drinks, hops to us for treats, lays the occasional egg, and even has figured out how to roost at night with the others. But there seems to be no improvement in her condition. We still can't find an injury so I guess we'll just wait and see.

Interesting that several of these cases involve Dominiques and Barred Rocks!

I have a Dominique who, somehow, hurt her leg about six months ago. She was limping for a LONG time--it wasn't broken, and she figured out how to get around. After weeks and weeks, she finally seemed to have healed up. A few months later, she hurt it again, and again, took several weeks to heal. I think she might just have a weak leg?? I try to keep her from jumping or flying from great heights or from getting panicked, to prevent further injury. You may just need an extraordinary amount of patience. As long as she's eating and drinking and getting around alright, I would just make sure that she's not in danger from predators and let her heal. You might do some research into vitamins that promote healing of ligaments/tendons/bones/etc. and maybe boost her diet with some of those.

I had a isa that had a shovel fall on her leg last year, I kept her up for at least a month before she really started standing on her leg again, so sometimes it just takes time. But today I had another hen that has a leg problem, but she seems to have a problem all the way to her hip, it just lays there and kind of flops. I have put her up with her own food and water. Not sure what to do if it's her hip, will is just heal itself

Hi, i have a 4 1/2 month old light brahma roo. He was perfectly fine 2 days ago, but the next day, he wasnt able to walk. Not sure what it is. At first i though it could be mareks, but he really doesnt show any of the symtoms. (Besides that he cant walk) but i noticed if i touch the bottoms of both feet, he screams like it hurts. Is it possible that he couldve injured both legs? Or maybe his hips? Maybe he could have mareks, idk. he eats and drinks normally, hes been eating grass, so his poop has grass in it, and its a greenish color. He breathes a little hard sometimes, but other than that, he seems fine...thanks.

My girl, Hazel, had a dislocation at the "knee". She has a good appetite and was trying to walk on it, and gave no indication of pain. I did, however, take her to a vet and they relocated and set it. I'm going to try the sling from the post above though, because when she walks with her cast it is so long she has more trouble walking than before. It has been almost a week in the cast, but I think she is hurting her hip trying to walk with the cast. I will try to update on her progress when the cast comes off in two more weeks. I appreciate everyone's posts. It has helped me in may situations with my girls. I have a mixed flock of 50+ in Texas.

One of my chicks arrived with a bum leg but after a few weeks it healed otself and now you can't even tell it was ever injured.

Now about about 2 week ago I ran one of my Polish hens over with the coop door and she's hopping around. But she's getting up on the roosts (not the high one) and the other hens are taking turns sleeping with her lol. I've even seen her use it when she wants to move faster so I'm hoping she heals on her own.

She's such a sweetie and my favorite. And I'm much more careful when I go in the coop bc she is always waiting for me
1f612.png

I just went to the coop and found one of my buffies with a no doubt about it broken leg. It is broken just below where the feathers start on her leg. Will it heal using the splints as described in one of the 2012 post.

Back
Top Bottom