HELP-with my corned beef brisket.

maplesky7

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
N. IL.
Never had one or made one.

I have one in my crock pot covered with water.

I had it on high for an hour and now on low for 2 1/2 hours.

The package said to cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 3-4 hours.

I have no idea what it's supposed to look like and I do not have a thermometer. With the pitch fork thingy....it slides right through.

My mom says to give it another hour.

So how do you cook one of these things?

I am used to a roasts and a certain color but with this being cooked in water?...it doesn't have that look about it at all...so I'm miffed.

Thanks for your help.

me,
g

It will be just brown... and look that way for a long time. My mom usually boils one for 4 hrs minimum, till the outside strands of meat just start to fall off. But some like it chewier, so depends on your taste. If the fork goes though easy, it's probably done enough. Longer for softer and it'll be cooked by now.

If it's tender, and based on the time you've had it in there, it's done! Pull it out and slice it, look and taste, I'll bet it's done.

Also, you can throw some potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips, and whatever else you like in, let them get tender and enjoy. We like cabbage too, but not everyone does. The longer it cooks, the more tender it'll get.

wink.png

Ok...I will pull it out and look.

I did put taters and carrots....in there.

I have a dentist apt. to go to for my 2 little girls so I'm thinking if it's done...it's done...if not it will probably cook until 4 and I don't want to over do it...then I'd have stew maybe?
tongue.png

I have a sugestion if you like. My family has always cooked our corned beef until tender, then take it out, put it in a cassarole dish, and spread a glaze made of brown sugar and yellow mustard on it, then stick it in the oven on broil to get the glaze to harden/thicken on there a little, it's soooo goood! My husband won't eat it any other way now!
Good Luck, sounds Yummy!
droolin.gif

I put the meat in the crockpot, cover it with water, put it on high then go to work. When I get home I take out the meat, cover it in foil then add my cabbage wedges to cook in the same broth. I slip the roast back in about 10 minutes before serving. Easy!

Quote:
The glaze sounds great...could you supply the amounts or proportions? Sounds good!

I don't really have amounts, I just put some brown sugar in a cup, then stir in yellow mustard until it becomes like a runny paste. Then I spoon it over the corned beef, stick it in the broiler and take it out when the glaze starts to bubble. I grew up watching my mom and grandma do it, and have always done it myself too!
droolin.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom