Help with my injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melendez mini Farm, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Melendez mini Farm

Melendez mini Farm In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2019
    My hen was attacked by a hawk a couple weeks ago. At first we didn’t notice anything wrong with her because she was avoiding us, but then it clearly became visible that she was injured and injured BAD! I started giving her penicillin. It’s been 2 days. I also have kept her in my basement to avoid my other chickens to pick on her. She seems to have more energy but her wound still looks pretty bad. Anyone know of anything I should do?

Attached Files:

glassdragonfly and Quail_Kid like this.
  2. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Indiana
    glassdragonfly likes this.
  3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    It appears to be healing, which can take some time. Is there any bad smell? I would spray with veterycin spray daily, and once dry I would cover it with plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to keep it moist. Keeping it moist will help with healing. Cut back any feathers that are getting in the wound to help keep it clean. It may take many weeks to heal up depending on how deep it is.

4. Melendez mini Farm

Melendez mini Farm In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2019
    No bad smell. I applied neosporin, so let’s see how it heals. Fingers crossed. Thank you!

feathermaid likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: