Help with my runt

Still alive, hopping around, peeping happily. I’m going to set up his own brooder today, and my daughter named him Shadow, the last dog to come home in Homeward Bound haha, so I guess I’m committed to this now, I fear she will have a cage with this quail living in her room eventually. We will see if he continues to improve, I got him mostly clean and he’s really starting to fluff up. I think he may just be about 2 days delayed developmentally and his balance isn’t great, but the others knock him over and step on him if he doesn’t get up right away when I tried to put him with them, so he needs private space to get stronger hopefully.

Still alive, hopping around, peeping happily. I’m going to set up his own brooder today, and my daughter named him Shadow, the last dog to come home in Homeward Bound haha, so I guess I’m committed to this now, I fear she will have a cage with this quail living in her room eventually. We will see if he continues to improve, I got him mostly clean and he’s really starting to fluff up. I think he may just be about 2 days delayed developmentally and his balance isn’t great, but the others knock him over and step on him if he doesn’t get up right away when I tried to put him with them, so he needs private space to get stronger hopefully.
:thumbsup

Update:
He’s doing better than I could have ever imagined. Yesterday my mom (who lives with us) told me he was dead twice lol. Today he’s running, jumping, screaming for friends, eating, drinking, pooping, etc.

His calling for friends has been his best physical therapy. When he stands real tall on his toes and calls it helps his leg strength and balance. I hope tomorrow he will be strong enough for me to start introducing siblings so he can learn to navigate the flock without being trampled. He barely fell over at all from dinner time to bed time, and he leaps right back up if he falls.

2A724C6A-B0DE-4B16-A01D-70D342A0AFA9.jpeg

his “roommate”:
E7F6C65B-B330-4048-9F35-9A22A29F5537.jpeg

Update:
He’s doing better than I could have ever imagined. Yesterday my mom (who lives with us) told me he was dead twice lol. Today he’s running, jumping, screaming for friends, eating, drinking, pooping, etc.

His calling for friends has been his best physical therapy. When he stands real tall on his toes and calls it helps his leg strength and balance. I hope tomorrow he will be strong enough for me to start introducing siblings so he can learn to navigate the flock without being trampled. He barely fell over at all from dinner time to bed time, and he leaps right back up if he falls.

View attachment 2279704

his “roommate”:
View attachment 2279708
yay! does he have a name?
Edit: sorry, I forgot his name is Shadow :) cute name. I have a character in the story I'm writing called Shadow.

Oh man! Impressive recovery :)

Funny enough my lil stargazer looks strikingly similar to yours. He has the black/pink legs & feathering is also darker than the others. I’m trying the hardest not to name mine as they are supposed to be for eating....but my hatch of 18 only hatched 3 sooooo perhaps I’ll keep them! See if my husband will go for it at least haha.

Funny enough my lil stargazer looks strikingly similar to yours. He has the black/pink legs & feathering is also darker than the others. I’m trying the hardest not to name mine as they are supposed to be for eating....but my hatch of 18 only hatched 3 sooooo perhaps I’ll keep them! See if my husband will go for it at least haha.
My daughter is hoping little Shadow will live in her room :)

He is the darkest in the group as well, most of mine were reds and rosettas.

How is the stargazer? That’s the one who was laying on his side right? Has he gotten up?

Awww I have seen peaople keep a couple quail as inside pets in rabbit cages. I imagine as long as your stimulating them & providing adequate diet it could go alright.

How is the stargazer? That’s the one who was laying on his side right? Has he gotten up?

He/she has! A little unsteady & not as fast as the others but he/she is eating, drinking & walking sooo I imagine it will be alright.

I moved them all too the brooder this morning & he was by far the least scared & immediately started pecking at the food & exploring.

I was just investigating colors of the chicks as I have no idea on what is what. My other 2 I think are regular ones.. they just have the normal chipmunk striping. Gold/ yellow & brown.

Awww I have seen peaople keep a couple quail as inside pets in rabbit cages. I imagine as long as your stimulating them & providing adequate diet it could go alright.

He/she has! A little unsteady & not as fast as the others but he/she is eating, drinking & walking sooo I imagine it will be alright.

I moved them all too the brooder this morning & he was by far the least scared & immediately started pecking at the food & exploring.

I was just investigating colors of the chicks as I have no idea on what is what. My other 2 I think are regular ones.. they just have the normal chipmunk striping. Gold/ yellow & brown.
Is it dark black/brown all over, does it have a more reddish color on the head? From your early pic I think I remember he was very very dark.

Back
Top Bottom