Help with necropsy photos

I was wondering about that sack that looked to have green fiber in it? Was this the crop? and if so, was that undigested food of some sort? Perhaps it was sour crop or an impacted crop?

I have treated my chickens with this problem (it will feel like a hard golf ball in the chest area?) with my human digestive enzymes. We either make a solution in warm water from one capsule and feed with a syringe from the side of the beak. And start massaging the crop.

After a few minutes and a few drinks, you can feel the mass turn from solid to mushy around the edge of the hard ball. Keep massaging and in a hour or so, the mass will be dissolved.

We people take digestive enzymes (as we get older) to digest the carbs, proteins, fibers, and fats in our stomach, and it seems to be an easy way to avoid tragedy with crop issues. You may also want to add electrolytes to the syringe for dehydration.

Also check the nostrils for plugged up openings. If they have been playing in the dirt, the nostrils could be packed with mud or dirt, and thus they can't breathe. To unpack, use a little warm water on a cotton pad and dab around nostril, one at a time....to loosen up the dirt/mud/etc. and I use a little bit of the end of straw to coax the blockage out. You can tell it helped if the comb goes from pale to bright red, and the energy returns.

These are just suggestions if a chicken goes from hearty to lethargic overnight, and some are easily treated if you know what to look for in symptoms. You know how doctors are, they are just guessing and many vets are clueless about poultry and other livestock. Good luck with this info! NV🤕

I was wondering about that sack that looked to have green fiber in it? Was this the crop? and if so, was that undigested food of some sort? Perhaps it was sour crop or an impacted crop?

I have treated my chickens with this problem (it will feel like a hard golf ball in the chest area?) with my human digestive enzymes. We either make a solution in warm water from one capsule and feed with a syringe from the side of the beak. And start massaging the crop.

After a few minutes and a few drinks, you can feel the mass turn from solid to mushy around the edge of the hard ball. Keep massaging and in a hour or so, the mass will be dissolved.

We people take digestive enzymes (as we get older) to digest the carbs, proteins, fibers, and fats in our stomach, and it seems to be an easy way to avoid tragedy with crop issues. You may also want to add electrolytes to the syringe for dehydration.

Also check the nostrils for plugged up openings. If they have been playing in the dirt, the nostrils could be packed with mud or dirt, and thus they can't breathe. To unpack, use a little warm water on a cotton pad and dab around nostril, one at a time....to loosen up the dirt/mud/etc. and I use a little bit of the end of straw to coax the blockage out. You can tell it helped if the comb goes from pale to bright red, and the energy returns.

These are just suggestions if a chicken goes from hearty to lethargic overnight, and some are easily treated if you know what to look for in symptoms. You know how doctors are, they are just guessing and many vets are clueless about poultry and other livestock. Good luck with this info! NV🤕
Opps! I forgot, in addition to the syringe method of getting digestive into the bird, you can also add to a soft food, like cottage cheese (diluted) and serve it up, if the bird is willing. Sorry about that!

That was her gizzard in that photo, her crop was empty. I’ve dealt with sour crop before and this wasn’t it. I’m leaning towards a vitamin b deficiency after doing a bit more research but thanks for your comments!

Back
Top Bottom