Help with new baby chicks..

jbieware

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Silver Point TN
My little Banty has been sittin on 9 eggs for awhile and 2 hatched out this morning!! Can I pick them up or should I wait? She's free range so should I put the chicks up in a pen? Or should I just let her do her job and just watch from afar. It's the first time I've had eggs to hatch and I'm nervous and excited!! It's like Christmas in July
big_smile.png

It's cool an't it see the moma with her babies. We just let one go broody and she hatched one so cool watch them

You can absolutely pick them up!! You may make momma a bit fussy. Mine fluffs up the size of three chickens and even flapps her wings like a roo. When the peeps yells she'll get more fussy. So I would start with just a quick look see and then return them to momma so as not to upset everyone:)

Whoa, tonight I looked under my Buff Orp hen who's been broody for 20 days. Saw some broken egg shells near her. Tried to lift her up and she pecked me like crazy.

Used a stick to lift her bottom up and there was one baby chick! Oh my. Now I wonder how long it will take for the other eggs to hatch. Should I expect the rest tomorrow?

They can hatch for a few days. One thing to prepare for (I just went through this) is the hen and some hatched chicks may decide to be on their marry way leaving behind some very close to hatching eggs!!

I stumbled upon that situation on Sunday morning. The egg had been left overnight. I warmed it in my hands and sent hubby to a buddy's house for a bator and put it in. It was a delayed hatched but it did hatch today!! I "should've" waited til the chick was two days old to introduce back to the hen, but I know my lady and she's an exceptional momma so I waited a few hours and the most amazing thing happened.

I put the new chick on the ground a few feet from her and the other chicks. With lightening speed, she raced toward her baby and THE BABY raced (wattled:) toward her and scurried under her. It's like they've always known eachother:) They are happy and snuggly tonight in the coop. -Just a heads up. It totally caught us off guard.

I am sooooo excited! Out of 9 eggs, 7 have hatched so I'm so glad I read this last post from MsBear cause I was gonna discard the last two. She's still sitting on them and the babies are doing wonderful!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, it's totally amazing! Congratulations all! My broody hen, her nest and so far 1 chick are on the floor of the coop. I let the rooster and 6 hens out bright and early this morning to leave broody and baby alone. I know I shoulda probably isolated them a long time ago, but I'm letting broody finish the job where she is.

I also brought out a bowl of chick starter and a bowl of water. When I checked back later, the chick was standing in the bowl of feed! Of course the other hens ran in the coop since they'd been locked out all morning, but they paid mama and baby no mind and ran out again. Now they're locked out.

I'm giving mama more time to hatch the rest of the eggs. Tried to lift her to see what was happening but she pecks furiously. This is so exciting!

Back
Top Bottom