Help!!! with new chick.

WVchick71

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Small Town
I have a 5 day old chick. It pipped on the wrong end of the egg and had some trouble getting out of the egg but appeared to be fine the next day. Then eveerything seemed to change and it couldnt walk ot even stand upright. When I try to get it to walk it just falls forward as if its legs just wont hold it up. Sometimes it falls to one side and its leg sticks out. I have checked its legs for swelling and there is nothing wrong with either of them or any joints. Last night it had a very "floppy" neck. as if no muscle control of its head. It doesnt seem to be eating and gets water whe n i dip its beak in the dish. It pepps loudly at times, but for the most part just appears to be sleeping all the time. Can any one tell me what the problem is?...If I can fix it?...and if not what is the best most humane way to euthanize it?

Thanks

If it's just exhausted from a difficult hatch, it might benefit from a little nutritional boost. You can try sugar water instead of plain, and two drops of infant vitamins WITHOUT iron onto the beak, avoiding the nostrils. See if it will eat it you dip it's beak into the food. If not, you can try finely mashed hardboiled egg plain or with a little plain, unflavored yoghurt mixed in.

Do not uthenize it, thats cruel. Try your best to keep this chick alive. it may be dehydrated, try giving it water by dipping your finger in water and putting a droplet at a time in/on its beak. Check for droppings stuck to her bottom, they may be blocking other droppings from comming out and this is deadly. make sure to check all your chicks for this, too? if dried droppings are blocking their vent, take a warm cloth or something and wipe it off. try seeing if the chick will eat any food. i you cant get it to eat, you can try mixing a bit of food with a bit of water to make a paste, and add bits of hard boiled egg mashed up. try getting the chick to eat this. without food, it will die.

I dont think its as easy as dehydrated or anything. I have been giving it water since we noticed that simething was worng and i have tried getting it to eat the food but it just doesnt do anything. I have tried helping to walk and it just seems to be getting worse. I didnt want to euthanize it either but at this point I hate to watch it suffer.

Back
Top Bottom