Help with new chicks

suzanne

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Hi, my daughter wanted to try out the Chick Chain for 4H and I let her. We received our 12 chicks Tuesday afternoon and I have a couple of questions. I have no idea how old they are, I'm quessing 1 or 2 weeks since they said keep temp at 90 degrees. Anyway, I'm keeping them in the house since it is still cold outside. How long will I need to do this? I have a little germ phobia and a 4 month old baby so I do not want to make him or anyone else sick. I never knew chickens pooped so much. So far I've made a house for them out of a carseat and baby swing box (lots of room) but cleaning up after them is horrible. I'm using puppy pads and paper towels. Can anyone suggest something I can do that is a little easier. A relative made a coop for when they are older and it stands 4 feet off the ground but does not have opening for a light to keep the little ones warm so any suggestions on a better house would also be appreciated. As you can tell I have never been around chicks before and the book the 4H office wasn't very informative. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to BYC.
First off, ttake some time and read the info on the BYC Home page, it will give you everything you need to know to get your chicks off to a good start.
Make sure your chicks have clean water available in a drown-proof waterer, provide chick starter, keep them warm at 90 degrees and away from drafts.
As far a bedding goes, you can try pine shavings with paper towels over them until the peeps get used to eating their own food and not shavings. Then you can just use shavings and that can help a bit with keeping things a little cleaner.
Best of luck with your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom