Help with new hatchling needed.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robinaggie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Eggs are hatching today. Four black chicks are in the brooder, and these were picking on little Rufus, who just lays around and is still in the hatcher. Question: The other chicks are active, drinking water, pecking at food, and walking. Rufus just lays around, and now s/he is laying on its side. Does the chick just need more time to rest, or is it sick? What do I do? This is my first hatch.

There is nothing outwardly wrong with Rufus - no vent problems, no belly button problems, no yolk hanging out, no visible deformities, and the hatch went fine.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Prop Rufus up, and do it several times until he/she stays upright. It isn't good for them to be laying on their sides. This happened to one of my silkies right after birth. He seemed to do fine once he got upright.

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you for your reply. I'll go make Rufus a little nest to keep her upright.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Good luck. Please let me know how she does.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Rufus is up and around! She is the cutest thing ever. I kept her in the hatcher after I put the other chicks in the brooder because she was a little wimpy. She spent hours hobbling from egg to egg talking through the pips. I wish I had a video. I hatched using egg crates with the bottoms removed, and she would nestle into a slot with her arms out over the eggs next to her. Adorable!

Today I have nine black and yellow chicks (not including the one my dog killed), one tiny silver chick still in the hatcher, and Rufus! There is one pipped egg still cheeping, so I'm waiting.

I've got to go get a battery for my camera.

Sorry I don't know how to edit the title of this thread.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by