Help with new hatchling needed.

robinaggie

Flew the Coop
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Texas
Eggs are hatching today. Four black chicks are in the brooder, and these were picking on little Rufus, who just lays around and is still in the hatcher. Question: The other chicks are active, drinking water, pecking at food, and walking. Rufus just lays around, and now s/he is laying on its side. Does the chick just need more time to rest, or is it sick? What do I do? This is my first hatch.

There is nothing outwardly wrong with Rufus - no vent problems, no belly button problems, no yolk hanging out, no visible deformities, and the hatch went fine.

Rufus is up and around! She is the cutest thing ever. I kept her in the hatcher after I put the other chicks in the brooder because she was a little wimpy. She spent hours hobbling from egg to egg talking through the pips. I wish I had a video. I hatched using egg crates with the bottoms removed, and she would nestle into a slot with her arms out over the eggs next to her. Adorable!

Today I have nine black and yellow chicks (not including the one my dog killed), one tiny silver chick still in the hatcher, and Rufus! There is one pipped egg still cheeping, so I'm waiting.

I've got to go get a battery for my camera.

Sorry I don't know how to edit the title of this thread.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom