Help with noisy pigeons

If he can't fly he probably doesn't need a large aviary, but needs some room to flap around, and he without a doubt needs natural sunlight daily. I'd say him and 1-3 other pigeons could comfortably share a 4'x4' loft with a 2'x2'x2' aviary.

If you want to get a pal for him and don't want another flying breed, consider an ornamental non-flying breed like a fantail. They are known to be docile and friendly.
And a fantail wouldn't need a larger area than that? I could easily do a tractor with a 4x4 indoor area and an area as big if not a little bigger to give them somewhere to take baths and flap around.

Felix is fluttering a little bit, I caught him fluttering in his cage up onto something that's about 4 inches off the ground, that's about the extent of his flying through.

And a fantail wouldn't need a larger area than that? I could easily do a tractor with a 4x4 indoor area and an area as big if not a little bigger to give them somewhere to take baths and flap around.

Felix is fluttering a little bit, I caught him fluttering in his cage up onto something that's about 4 inches off the ground, that's about the extent of his flying through.

I have never owned fantails, so I'm not entirely sure, but my understanding is that they don't need as much space. All pigeons should have about 2-3 square feet per bird in a loft, so I would imagine it's the same with fantails. I'd imagine the main difference with fantails is that you don't need to be so concerned with flying them like flying breeds, so it may be a good choice for a buddy for Felix if he can't fly.

Although Felix may not be able to fly, they do exercise by flapping their wings, so he'll still want to do that, and you should make sure he has room to flap about. A lot of the time when they know they can't fly in a loft, they will still just sit on a perch or in the aviary and flap their wings rapidly for exercise. It's funny to watch. They'll also flap to dry off, then they'll sit around poofed up and preen. It's very cute.

I had a neighbor complain about the noise when I owned ONE male pigeon.:barnie(Our houses were very close together). I had his loft on my deck so I could see him from the living room window. After the complaint I moved him to the only other spot in the yard where I could still keep an eye on him from another window, but it was only about six feet away from the original location. There's now a shed between the loft & the neighbor, which I guess blocks the noise. When I asked the neighbor about the noise again they said they thought I had gotten rid of him! Good thing, because in the meantime I had gotten another pigeon who turned out to be a female, and they had babies! :D So now I have 2 males & 3 females. [I did have one other male baby but I gave him away because he was fighting with his dad. The other male baby is peaceful.] I can hear my male pigeons very softly at night when I'm awake in bed because the loft is now close to my bedroom window, but I kind of like it because it alerts me when people are walking around outside my fence. That's the only time they make noise at night. They're great "watch dogs!" It's not loud enough to bother me at all, and certainly not loud enough to wake me. In your case, I assume they only complain about the noise when they're in the loft, not flying around? Any physical barrier should help a little (a shed, evergreen bushes, solid fence, etc.) The males are more noisy, so if there's any you would be willing to part with, that could help.

I assume they only complain about the noise when they're in the loft, not flying around?

I have not had any complaints, just was worried since they have been making more noise as they mature and apparently are engaging in the whole mating dance and rituals.

They only really make the noises in the loft. When I loft fly them they don't make much noise at all.

Back
Top Bottom