Help with noisy pigeons

LamarshFish

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 26, 2015
Well, my pigeons have become noisier and noisier it seems as the weeks go by and they mature. They are around 6 months old and seem to really be ramping up the mating behavior. My loft is about 20 yards from my home. I can hear them in bed. It is a dull, low sound, so I don't think it's particularly irritating, but who knows how others feel. They are not terribly loud, but they do it very often (doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, wok wok wok wok).

Anyways, I really don't want to have issues with neighbors. They are certainly way less loud than barking dogs around us, but you know how things go, people are used to dogs, and pigeons have a bad rep and aren't always held in high regard.

I am wondering how often pigeons are making noises, and I am curious whether it has to do with my relatively small loft and whether it is causing them to be overly territorial. My loft is approximately 4x4x4. I have 9 birds, but they have 8 very large nest boxes and 12 perches to choose from, so plenty of options. My aviary is very large.

don't know about tame ones, but wild ones lived in our next door neighbors soffit for a while and we could hear them all night from inside our house.

Ehh, well I really hope mine don't disturb my neighbors. The noise is persistent, but it's not a very annoying noise. Just that "doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo" over and over and over.

I don't know any thing about the noises except I will probably be able to hear also as the loft is only a few feet from my window.
Can you help me decide where to put my perches?
I have got these sideways box perches done and am trying to decide where to put them, ... under the nest box shelf, or on the south wall opposite the nest boxes??? P1000834.JPG P1000836.JPG

Ehh, well I really hope mine don't disturb my neighbors. The noise is persistent, but it's not a very annoying noise. Just that "doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo" over and over and over.
I think a lot of it was that they were in metal soffit. It didn't bother us really, but we COULD hear them pretty easily. Honestly the loudest part from inside our house was them beating up the metal... I can't imagine what it sounded like from inside the same house as them...

I can't wait for Felix to start making noise... He is already starting to squeak at me when he can see me and he thinks I'm late with food...

I don't know any thing about the noises except I will probably be able to hear also as the loft is only a few feet from my window.
Can you help me decide where to put my perches?
I have got these sideways box perches done and am trying to decide where to put them, ... under the nest box shelf, or on the south wall opposite the nest boxes???View attachment 1181323 View attachment 1181324

Are you going to have nest boxes only on that one side, or both sides? I would honestly put perches on both sides if you have the room. Give them as many options as possible. In my limited experience, you'll have a few very territorial birds that get aggressive, and I think when they have space it alleviates the tension (and your loft may be quieter lol).

You can fill in small spaces with those v-perches they sell online.

Are you going to have nest boxes only on that one side, or both sides? I would honestly put perches on both sides if you have the room. Give them as many options as possible. In my limited experience, you'll have a few very territorial birds that get aggressive, and I think when they have space it alleviates the tension (and your loft may be quieter lol).

You can fill in small spaces with those v-perches they sell online.
I'm making some T perches also and depending on where I place the box perches, the 'T perches' will go on the remaining wall. I wonder which type they will prefer, or if they will always choose the highest perch available?

Oops, didn't mean to upload that pic, why pigeons have a bad rep?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_14-18-41.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-7_14-18-41.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 10
I think a lot of it was that they were in metal soffit. It didn't bother us really, but we COULD hear them pretty easily. Honestly the loudest part from inside our house was them beating up the metal... I can't imagine what it sounded like from inside the same house as them...

I can't wait for Felix to start making noise... He is already starting to squeak at me when he can see me and he thinks I'm late with food...

It sounds like you've grown to really like Felix and intend to keep him. I would encourage you to find him a mate, as well as to build them some kind of outdoor loft, or at least a space in your home that gives them a view of the outdoors. Sometimes you can fashion a cage in a garage with an aviary hanging off the outdoor wall.

It sounds like you've grown to really like Felix and intend to keep him. I would encourage you to find him a mate, as well as to build them some kind of outdoor loft, or at least a space in your home that gives them a view of the outdoors. Sometimes you can fashion a cage in a garage with an aviary hanging off the outdoor wall.
It doesn't look like he's ever going to be a strong flyer, he's still not holding the wing correctly and even through he wing chops with it and will flap it, I don't know that I would trust him to be able to fly out of the way of a preditor.
I am getting my farm ready for the horses and will probably make a small tractor type coup for him and try to get a few more for company. I'm thinking a wire bottomed raised coup so the manure can fall through and a small flight cage that he can go in and flap around and the others can fly free...
How big do you think a flight cage would need to be to let them get some exercise?

It doesn't look like he's ever going to be a strong flyer, he's still not holding the wing correctly and even through he wing chops with it and will flap it, I don't know that I would trust him to be able to fly out of the way of a preditor.
I am getting my farm ready for the horses and will probably make a small tractor type coup for him and try to get a few more for company. I'm thinking a wire bottomed raised coup so the manure can fall through and a small flight cage that he can go in and flap around and the others can fly free...
How big do you think a flight cage would need to be to let them get some exercise?

If he can't fly he probably doesn't need a large aviary, but needs some room to flap around, and he without a doubt needs natural sunlight daily. I'd say him and 1-3 other pigeons could comfortably share a 4'x4' loft with a 2'x2'x2' aviary.

If you want to get a pal for him and don't want another flying breed, consider an ornamental non-flying breed like a fantail. They are known to be docile and friendly.

Back
Top Bottom