Help with Parent Stock!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mooSa, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mooSa

mooSa Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    OK, I am looking to purchase parent stock, but my question is where can i actually find parent stock. Personally i don't think that companies that claim to sell parent stock, do sell parent stock... I mean its probably crossbred parent stock, which has less productive future chicks. Since the selection process has taken them years to select the best genetics, does anyone know a guaranteed source that supplies pure parent stock and top quality birds?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Maybe I'm not the right person to ask, but couldn't you contact the breed club and find recommended breeders from there? That's what I did when I started searching for show dogs years ago. Maybe attend some local poultry shows and meet breeders. That way, you can see what line of stock you really like and even find a mentor to help you along.
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Best wishes!

3. mooSa

mooSa Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    thanks, how do i get a hold of the breed club?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    feathersite.com has breed clubs under pictures of each breed

6. mooSa

mooSa Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    perfect, thanks for your the help

7. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    This parent stock will Not help you in making good hybreds. All show line stock which you will get from Parenet club like the links listed are show lines which are bred not to lay that well so they can show longer.

The parent stock that made hybreds is a company secret and not sold.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:I guess I'm not reading enough into this? What type of parent stock are you after? Are you after exhibition birds, layer birds, broiler birds? Narrowing down the "parent stock" phrase will help us find out exactly what you're after?

9. mooSa

mooSa Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    layer birds, i know its a secret, thats why im asking if there is any possible way to get close to the parent stock purebred RiR, BR, and Leghorn layer birds.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you in the US or Israel? Weren't you asking about hatcheries in Israel in another post? That will make a difference in where you can obtain your parent stock from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: