Help with Peachicks Please

I asked my vet for one of the antibiotics you mentioned and they have ordered Baytril for me. The vet said to put it in their drinking water at 6ml per litre for 5 days. I thought it was supposed to be given by bodyweight but they said it can be given in the water like that.

They haven't told me what % that Baytril is but does that sound right? Does it sound like it's the 10% or the 2.5% Baytril they have ordered?

Baytril 100 is the 10% and really should be given per weight of the bird. I would not trust putting it in the water, sick birds do not drink so they may not get any let alone how diluted it would be. It can be given via injection or direct drench but I would never trust it being diluted.

Baytril 100 is the 10% and really should be given per weight of the bird. I would not trust putting it in the water, sick birds do not drink so they may not get any let alone how diluted it would be. It can be given via injection or direct drench but I would never trust it being diluted.
Thank you. I thought so.

I'm not sure what to do now because my local vet seems to have changed their mind about helping me get what I need. I'd love to ask them about getting the 10% but they've been a bit difficult about getting it for me at all and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I also asked them about sending in faecal samples and they have quoted me €100 per sample.

I posted some new poo pictures in the poo thread and I also posted here in the main forum about some issues I'm having with the chickens. Do you think I should pursue getting the Baytril even if it is 2.5% and adjust the dosage? Does it seem like I need it now based on the symptoms and everything that's going on with my birds? The peafowl are all still acting well.

I appreciate your help so much. I really do feel alone otherwise. I'm so anxious it's hard for me to tell if I'm dealing with an emergency or panicking over nothing at all.

Last edited:
I would be looking for another vet, perhaps one more rural that works with livestock and not the pet vets in the city. Our country vet charges $16 to do a fecal on any animal and even taught me to do my own at home. There are some online sources for meds you may want to try to find in your area. Birds have an amazing ability to fight off infections and as yours seem to be normal they may be fine. We try to recognize when birds need help and try to get ahead of potential problems. Try looking for potential sources for meds in case your vet has given up on you.

I would be looking for another vet, perhaps one more rural that works with livestock and not the pet vets in the city. Our country vet charges $16 to do a fecal on any animal and even taught me to do my own at home. There are some online sources for meds you may want to try to find in your area. Birds have an amazing ability to fight off infections and as yours seem to be normal they may be fine. We try to recognize when birds need help and try to get ahead of potential problems. Try looking for potential sources for meds in case your vet has given up on you.
Thanks. We are extremely rural and they are really the only vet around unless we tried somewhere very far away. They have been very nice and helpful up until now. They did ring me back since my last post and seemed very helpful again so I don't know what to think. Medications are very heavily regulated here, especially antibiotics, so I suppose they were being wary. They had previously said they would source things for me but maybe they take the antibiotics more seriously.

I doubt I'd be able to buy antibiotics online. Unless you have any links? There are EU regulations and then the Irish regulations within that which are very strict. I don't want to do anything that's not allowed but I do just want to keep my birds safe.

They said the Baytril is 2.5%. Do you know what the dosage would be for that? Or even for the 10% and I can multiply it.

Also, they are going to be dispensing me a small amount, not an unopened bottle. Will that keep for a while if I wanted to wait and see if I actually need to use it or not? I've read that the oral one expires quickly once opened but I don't know if that's true. If they have a small infection I would like them to fight it themselves rather than medicate if I can but I'd like to be able to treat them quickly if they started showing signs of illness other than the poo.

If a chick weighs 100 grams, here is the math:

10 mg/kg twice a day - 0.1 x 10 / 25 = 0.04 ml
15 mg/kg twice a day - 0.1 x 10 / 25 = 0.06 ml

Those seem to be the two most commonly prescribed amounts.

How much do the chicks weigh?
I don't think the chicks need treatment. It would be for my peahens. It will be very stressful for them to be caught and weighed so if I did have to dose them I'd catch them at the time and weigh them there and then and calculate. I'm sure I can find threads with the dosage per kg for the 10% but if you know off hand that would be great. And yes, I'd have to multiply it by four for the 2.5%.

I'm still not sure if I should even give it to them based on poo alone and healthy behaviour. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom