Help with Quail eggs

PhelanChick

Chirping
May 11, 2023
I found a wild quail that cats had gotten- and I also found her nest which happened to be in my barn. I want to incubate the eggs and then release them back into the wild when they are old enough. Unfortunately I do not how old they are. I candled them tonight after putting them in my incubator and they are alive!!! I can see movement in the ones I checked, but without knowing exactly how long she was with them, I do not know when to put them on lock down and increase the humidity. I can try to get a video a bit later, but wondering if anyone has pics or videos that kinda clearly show them when I should stop turning them.

Thanks for your help!!

Here is a video I took a few minutes ago in case it helps with a timelines. I want to save these guys if I can!

It won't let me post the video but here are a few screen shots
Screenshot_20230511-213038_Gallery.jpg

Hello!

I have done the same thing with duck eggs. I found a nest and incubated the eggs, but I didn’t know how long they’d been incubated already. I tried to keep the humidity in between normal and lockdown standards, and just watched closely for any progress and signs of hatching. I kept the egg turner on, and stopped it as soon as I saw the first external pip, as well as increased humidity to lockdown standard. I would suggest doing the same, but if you candled them, that might give you an approximate age…

You incubating them gives them the best chance of survival, so don’t feel bad if they don’t make it. They wouldn’t have made it anyway if you hadn’t stepped in to help. If they’re still alive though, I’d say they have a pretty good chance of living! Let us know how everything goes, and keep us updated! Best of luck!

By the way, welcome to BYC! :)

Hello!

I have done the same thing with duck eggs. I found a nest and incubated the eggs, but I didn’t know how long they’d been incubated already. I tried to keep the humidity in between normal and lockdown standards, and just watched closely for any progress and signs of hatching. I kept the egg turner on, and stopped it as soon as I saw the first external pip, as well as increased humidity to lockdown standard. I would suggest doing the same, but if you candled them, that might give you an approximate age…

You incubating them gives them the best chance of survival, so don’t feel bad if they don’t make it. They wouldn’t have made it anyway if you hadn’t stepped in to help. If they’re still alive though, I’d say they have a pretty good chance of living! Let us know how everything goes, and keep us updated! Best of luck!

By the way, welcome to BYC! :)
Thank you!! I just posted a couple pics from candling- they are definitely alive!!! Would love to see if anyone has an idea of their age.

I’ve actually never hatched quail, but if I had to guess I’d say they’re about two weeks into development.

What kind of quail are they?

anyone available to add some insight? is it better to put them in lockdown early? or late? I am thinking Monday I should lock them down and see what happen?

Back
Top Bottom