Help with raising new baby chicks

nhchickmom

Songster
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Thornton, NH
Hi All,

I am not a total newbie when it comes to raising chickens, but have never actually had them as day old chicks. I have 4 coming at the end of April. I plan to raise them in the mudroom in a box with pine shavings and a heat lamp. What suggestions do you have for food, heat temperature, how long should they stay inside, when and how should I introduce them to the rest of the flock?

Thanks in advance.

Get them chick starter from your local feed store. Keep the temp around 90-95, and then drop it 5 degrees every week. Chicks are more viable than people give them credit for, you'll do just fine.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Hit any of the hatchery websites and read up on their care instructions. I recommend mcmurrayhatchery.com for this as their instructions are very good and very well-written.

Pretty much any of the online hatcheries have great instructions though.

When you are done there, come back here and bounce any remaining questions you have off the nice people in here.

Use a regular 60 watt light bulb instead of heatlamp. It is much safer. Just put it closer to the floor. For that small amount of chicks it will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom