Help with reintroduction!

Jul 31, 2022
Warning! Photos May be too graphic! Around the end of July, I noticed that one of my (22) girls had an eye injury. I immediately separated her from the flock and put her into chicken-time-out in our infirmary (bedroom lol) I have since got her eye to heal, except she can't keep it open for very long in the wind. However, every time we try to reintroduce her to the flock, they immediately go after her and her eye! Any suggestions? I don't want to keep stressing her out and letting them hurt her but we also can't keep her in the house forever. Lol (as much as I would want to, boyfriend says NO! 😔) Any ideas on how we can get her back out with the rest? They're all the same age... Not sure if that matters. I'm more of an expert on Ducks lol. I appreciate any advise, tips and tricks! Thank you!

20220817_201509.jpg

Attachments

• 20220912_093345.jpg
    20220912_093345.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220915_143124.jpg
    20220915_143124.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 2
She needs to be penned where everyone can see her but can't peck her. It may take weeks. I personally would leave her penned at least a week before trying to let her out under supervision. Put her back when you can no longer watch them. Keep that up for another week at least.

It can all depend on the size of your set up, and if there are places birds can get away and hide or not. Sometimes it takes a long time especially if you removed the bird completely. It's always best to have a separation pen that is in the coop if at all possible.

She needs to be penned where everyone can see her but can't peck her. It may take weeks. I personally would leave her penned at least a week before trying to let her out under supervision. Put her back when you can no longer watch them. Keep that up for another week at least.

It can all depend on the size of your set up, and if there are places birds can get away and hide or not. Sometimes it takes a long time especially if you removed the bird completely. It's always best to have a separation pen that is in the coop if at all possible.
Thank you so very much! I definitely thought about that but I would have to build a mini coop for her or figure out the sleeping plan. We will definitely give that a try. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom