Help with Rouens and Cayugas

joyj23

Chirping
Jun 10, 2023
Tennessee
I have 3 Rouens that were born around the beginning of April. Wouldn’t one be showing drake signs? We don’t even have a curl that I can tell. I have seen multiple ducks mounting each other and since we have the vibrant Cayuga we thought maybe he’d be the daddy for our flock. I have him and my girl Cayuga sitting on 24 eggs😳! I’m unsure if fertile or not. I have seen some that look like they could be but this is our first time. Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpeg
    IMG_0646.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0648.png
    IMG_0648.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0644.jpeg
    IMG_0644.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0649.png
    IMG_0649.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
Best way to tell at the age of your ducks is by voice
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

24 eggs are you sure she can even cover that many? being her first time I would candle and get rid of any that aren't showing signs of life so she has a more manageable size to work with. Forgot to ask how long has she been sitting?

The beak might be able to tell. The darker beak is usually female, and the lighter, yellowish beak should be male (all depending on breed, but I believe my Cayugas had that difference). Also, voice. Females will have a loud, attention getting voice and the male has a quieter, whispering voice. Again, that could be varying on breed and possibly age, but every duck I've owned, handled, etc, it was always the same.

Best way to tell at the age of your ducks is by voice
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

24 eggs are you sure she can even cover that many? being her first time I would candle and get rid of any that aren't showing signs of life so she has a more manageable size to work with. Forgot to ask how long has she been sitting?
I should have said when we got the Cayuga’s, they were older and from a flea market so there’s honestly no real knowledge of 💯 breeds like from a hatchery etc. They are the only 2 out of our whole 6 that sit day in and out and I calculated the 31st would be 28 days. I took away the ones that I looked at and sure enough they were infertile. So I’m thinking that they should be discarded but should I just take them away and mess the nests up too?

I have 3 Rouens that were born around the beginning of April. Wouldn’t one be showing drake signs? We don’t even have a curl that I can tell. I have seen multiple ducks mounting each other and since we have the vibrant Cayuga we thought maybe he’d be the daddy for our flock. I have him and my girl Cayuga sitting on 24 eggs😳! I’m unsure if fertile or not. I have seen some that look like they could be but this is our first time. Thank you for any advice!
Your Rouens are gorgeous!! What makes you think one is a drake? Do they all quack?

Btw, female ducks will absolutely mount other females :)

I should have said when we got the Cayuga’s, they were older and from a flea market so there’s honestly no real knowledge of 💯 breeds like from a hatchery etc. They are the only 2 out of our whole 6 that sit day in and out and I calculated the 31st would be 28 days. I took away the ones that I looked at and sure enough they were infertile. So I’m thinking that they should be discarded but should I just take them away and mess the nests up too?
31 of August? Have you candled or just looked at them? candling will show you if there is life in those eggs. We can't hold day 28 as hatch day because sometimes they will hatch before day 28 or after. But by candling you can tell if any have internally pipped.

31 of August? Have you candled or just looked at them? candling will show you if there is life in those eggs. We can't hold day 28 as hatch day because sometimes they will hatch before day 28 or after. But by candling you can tell if any have internally pipped.
I have used a flashlight and looked in a couple today and I think they’re infertile. I didn’t wash them and I don’t know if that makes any difference but I saw clear no veins etc, but then a couple that looked like they had air sacs but idk if that means anything. All of them we’ve busted or something busted one, they just looked like a normal broken nasty egg. I tried looking for veins, air sac, pips,movement,sound, etc. So if they do need thrown out should I break up the nest spot they are in ? I would prefer them laying in a cleaner place but I also know they are hard headed at times. Lol. And yes 31st if August. I thought I’d let nature do its thing and now I’m at this dilemma. Ty!

Your Rouens are gorgeous!! What makes you think one is a drake? Do they all quack?

Btw, female ducks will absolutely mount other females :)
Thank you! I love them! I don’t actually think 💯. I just thought I saw a collar on one. There isn’t any green at all to any heads. They quack too! Very very vocal!! Even though the back door lol. I think one may be larger than the other two just slightly. I also figured that I would have drakes since I bought from tsc & the last 3 at that time and I read the drakes usually are on the floors in the brooders cause of demand for hens. 🤷‍♀️
Oh Lawdy !! Do they tend to be as aggressive during it to the point of almost drowning like the drakes?

If your sure there isn't any life yes toss the eggs and tear up the nest.
There is no need to let them brood when nothing is going to hatch. It may take them a week to get over it but they will. I have a Muscovy right now that I am working on breaking she hasn't any eggs but still wants to brood. [They can sure be nutty]

If your sure there isn't any life yes toss the eggs and tear up the nest.
There is no need to let them brood when nothing is going to hatch. It may take them a week to get over it but they will. I have a Muscovy right now that I am working on breaking she hasn't any eggs but still wants to brood. [They can sure be nutty]
Thank you! I definitely will work with tearing down the nests etc. Is there a way to dispose of the eggs where wild animals wouldn’t necessarily near the yard? Also do you have a box for them to lay or go broody in? I think my golden 300 has now began to lay in the house but we have straw down all over it. Would that be enough? I was thinking of a crate or barrel/bucket with straw so they aren’t in the ground but they are definitely not easily told what to do. Lol I really appreciate you taking the time Miss Lydia!

Back
Top Bottom