Help with Rouens and Cayugas

My Ducks lay and brood right in the shavings I use deep litter so they dig them out a hole lay and brood.
Any eggs that have been sat on that aren't fertile I throw over the fence in the woods. You could put them in the trash too.

The beak might be able to tell. The darker beak is usually female, and the lighter, yellowish beak should be male (all depending on breed, but I believe my Cayugas had that difference). Also, voice. Females will have a loud, attention getting voice and the male has a quieter, whispering voice. Again, that could be varying on breed and possibly age, but every duck I've owned, handled, etc, it was always the same.
I have thought that this whole time. I have one Rouen with what I call a “black “ bill but the other two have more orange yellow. They seem to be the most talkative ones except when we get near the Cayuga’s nests. Both Cayuga’s are black beaks and legs. One very vibrant without any white spots and then one who is black with white on the chest. I thought she probably was a little older than the rest. Wasn’t long after we got them, Iggy ( vibrant Cayuga) and Marley black with white chest)started mounting and laying eggs. I know girls frequently mount each other. I just love these creatures so much!

My Ducks lay and brood right in the shavings I use deep litter so they dig them out a hole lay and brood.
Any eggs that have been sat on that aren't fertile I throw over the fence in the woods. You could put them in the trash too.
I was thinking of tossing them into the creek.👍

Yoy should be seeing drake feathers by now as my ancona drake born first week of may has his drake feather
But my older 3 boys 1-2 years old have lost the drake feathers and they never came back
So you don’t always know by the feather
But all of my ducks I can tell by 6 weeks and as early as 2 weeks with voice
If you take each one and video it we can help you with the sound

Yoy should be seeing drake feathers by now as my ancona drake born first week of may has his drake feather
But my older 3 boys 1-2 years old have lost the drake feathers and they never came back
So you don’t always know by the feather
But all of my ducks I can tell by 6 weeks and as early as 2 weeks with voice
If you take each one and video it we can help you with the sound
I will definitely try doing that today! Do Ancona drakes get green on heads? Just curious. I just started looking at the beauty of them yesterday!

I will definitely try doing that today! Do Ancona drakes get green on heads? Just curious. I just started looking at the beauty of them yesterday!
My boy has green in the black spots but his black on his body turns blue , green and purple
Just depends how the sun hits
But even without sun you see blue on his back
He was to handsome not to keep. I was only keeping 3 girls but had to let him stay
I do however have back yard mix and 3 of my darker girls all have green in the head. They all quack loud one is old enough she lays eggs
They are a mix of
pekin khaki cross and blue Swedish

Attachments

• 57E1266E-3C3D-4FFD-81E4-A8CBCD49996C.jpeg
    57E1266E-3C3D-4FFD-81E4-A8CBCD49996C.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 787430F7-F681-4D8B-8D61-0E3DD8CAA8A0.jpeg
    787430F7-F681-4D8B-8D61-0E3DD8CAA8A0.jpeg
    878.3 KB · Views: 4
  • E63F0F8E-B807-4F4D-B06D-364CC6A76642.png
    E63F0F8E-B807-4F4D-B06D-364CC6A76642.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
My boy has green in the black spots but his black on his body turns blue , green and purple
Just depends how the sun hits
But even without sun you see blue on his back
He was to handsome not to keep. I was only keeping 3 girls but had to let him stay
I do however have back yard mix and 3 of my darker girls all have green in the head. They all quack loud one is old enough she lays eggs
They are a mix of
pekin khaki cross and blue Swedish
They are so beautiful!!

I have 3 Rouens that were born around the beginning of April. Wouldn’t one be showing drake signs? We don’t even have a curl that I can tell. I have seen multiple ducks mounting each other and since we have the vibrant Cayuga we thought maybe he’d be the daddy for our flock. I have him and my girl Cayuga sitting on 24 eggs😳! I’m unsure if fertile or not. I have seen some that look like they could be but this is our first time. Thank you for any advice!
for all ducks the best way to tell a sex is by the voice.. i bought two rouens off a lady and this is my first time with the breed so i didn’t know they molt jnto drake feathers of male the seller claimed they were both female but upon receiving them i immediately saw differences between the two and the most noticeable one was the voice but everyone insisted i was crazy until the two drakes started fighting while i was on vacation 😂 they were around 4 months when i got them and with each week he kept changing so if one happens to be a male then within a few weeks it would be obvious.
6114A1D5-CA63-4FCA-AAC4-D2F97CBFB71E.jpeg

7EBAE812-1C9D-4FA4-936E-9C1FB9BB03E2.jpeg

8F92EF5E-6862-4D84-8E63-A8530793400C.png

That’s e
for all ducks the best way to tell a sex is by the voice.. i bought two rouens off a lady and this is my first time with the breed so i didn’t know they molt jnto drake feathers of male the seller claimed they were both female but upon receiving them i immediately saw differences between the two and the most noticeable one was the voice but everyone insisted i was crazy until the two drakes started fighting while i was on vacation 😂 they were around 4 months when i got them and with each week he kept changing so if one happens to be a male then within a few weeks it would be obvious.
View attachment 3629156
View attachment 3629157
View attachment 3629158
xa what I’m expecting!! I know my luck isn’t great 😂 I see a collar on one of mine ( I swear 🤷‍♀️) but I am just waiting! My hubs thinks I’m crazy 😜 lol

That’s e

xa what I’m expecting!! I know my luck isn’t great 😂 I see a collar on one of mine ( I swear 🤷‍♀️) but I am just waiting! My hubs thinks I’m crazy 😜 lol

One question, have you since crossed the Cayugas with Rouen?

Back
Top Bottom