Help with run design, ideas (pics inside)

blakeh1

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Ennis texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have been free ranging my chickens as I live on 200 acres. The one acre around my house is fenced in with this
null_zps1f870800.jpg

Which the chickens cannot get thru except in a couple spots which I am going to fix.

I was thinking of building them a smaller fenced in area(run) using the existing corner of my lot where there coop is and more of the same fencing material with chicken wire or hardware cloth around the bottom foot or so.

I recently had 4 chickens get eaten because they got thru a gap in the existing fence. I want to keep them in my yard but give them plenty of room.

Here are some pics of my coop area. Give me some ideas I am open.

null_zps5cb08a85.jpg

null_zpsfd86954b.jpg

null_zps30ea4af9.jpg

null_zpsfb1a6b4c.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice area and coop. However, I would think about adding some more shady areas in the enclosed area. Also, things they can get under to hide from hawks and what not. Be sure to clip the chickens' wings so that they will not be able to get over the wire, too.

Last edited:
Cute coop and nice yard! I would run a fence so that the back yard or portion of the back yard could be the free run area. If they are allowed to free range around the house then expect digging in the flower beds and poop on your porch! I would construct a 10x15 or similar size run connected to the coop that is enclosed. This way if you are away for the weekend you can confine them in the run/coop area without any worries. It is also nice to have the coop open in the run so that they can go outside for fresh air. I don't clip my birds wings and they stay within the 1 acre free range area fenced 4 ft. high. A portion of the run can have a solid roof for some added shading. Looks like a great setup!

Well after debating closed run or not I decided I was more worried about keeping them in there "place". It's not hawk proof but we haven't had a lot of problems with hawks. They can also hide under or in their coop. They have ample shade. Let me know what you think

I ran the same fencing we have with chicken wire along the bottom of the entire run.

null_zps889a1779.jpg

null_zps1f844fcb.jpg

I get all my chickens from the same breeder. They are 10 weeks old now.

Started with barred rocks then got 2 more gsl.

2 br's and 1 gsl got killed so we now have

2 gsl
2 brown leghorns
And 2 Dominique's

She was out of the barred so we decided to mix it up lol

Back
Top Bottom