Chicken Run under deck

Audballmaker

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Hello!

I am preparing for my first flock of 5. I wanted to attach hardware cloth from the fence to the bottom of the deck but our rafters have me wondering how am suppose to go about that while ensuring it is predator proof . If you have any ideas I am open to any and all advice.

Attachments

• IMG_9477.jpeg
    IMG_9477.jpeg
    879 KB · Views: 34
Welcome!
'Predator proof' means no openings anywhere larger than 1/2" diameter, and either a buried dig proof base, or at least hardware cloth extending from the fence outward.
Your house wall is wood, right? Adding wood chips on top of the ground, and managing run-off away from the house and run, will have 'bad stuff' against your wood wall, promoting rot there, and termites, at least.
With only dirt as a base, keeping odors down won't be easy, even with only five birds.
Your climate matters, if you add your approximate location on your profile it would help too.
Mary

Thank you for your reply. The side of the house (to the left where it’s white) is concrete blocks from the base to below the deck. I haven’t put in the mulch yet for the run; I was going to use hardwood for the base and rotate it to mushroom beds in another area of the property. I am located in the Georgia mountains, so yes rain is a big concern for me. I was going to put up steel under the deck as well to keep down moisture but wasn’t sure to extend it the whole length of the deck since I need someway to attach the hardware cloth up there.

Concrete is good!
Will the ground, including that bedding, slope away from the house? I don't understand where the steel would be, and will it prevent the deck from drying out?
Other people here may have experience doing this under deck run, I don't. Good luck with it!
And 'chicken math' is a real thing...
Mary

Yup! It has a slight slope under the deck for drainage. I just wanted to keep my girls completely dry so I was gonna put up galvanized steel under the deck to keep from any rain droppin in. Thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom