Help with runt chick

lizhurni

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Hi everyone!! I have 3 chicks that hatched 4 days ago. One is very small and I’m not sure how to help it. I can’t tell if it can’t see but it won’t eat or drink on his own. When I dip its beak in the water it drinks. I have been feeding it egg yolk mixed with the feed and it chows down but it’s poop is a little watery. I figure that’s since he’s eating mostly liquids and not enough feed. Sometimes it seems like it can’t pick its head up? Like it is falling asleep and just kind of puts its head down. It had dried yolk on it when it hatched so I bathed it and it has since fluffed up. Does anyone have any tips? The farm I got the eggs from said they would take it and euthanize it but I couldn’t let that happen. I’ll attach some pictures for reference. Thank you!!
165E6DE8-B3D9-406B-80BF-CB526EBAE031.jpeg
28728CC8-43CD-4903-9ED6-87DAC0EC5364.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to BYC. Tractor Supply carries a variety of supplies for chickens. I use Poultry Cell. You can mix it with water, and just put a drop on the chicks beak a few times a day. (Chicks can aspirated easily, so it's best not to force it into their mouth)
Feeding egg is a great idea. Most chicks love scrambled eggs. Just be sure and provide some chick grit as well.
Good luck! And please keep us updated.

Hello, welcome to BYC. Tractor Supply carries a variety of supplies for chickens. I use Poultry Cell. You can mix it with water, and just put a drop on the chicks beak a few times a day. (Chicks can aspirated easily, so it's best not to force it into their mouth)
Feeding egg is a great idea. Most chicks love scrambled eggs. Just be sure and provide some chick grit as well.
Good luck! And please keep us updated.
Thank you so much!! Sometimes he makes a little clicking noise when he drinks. I assume that’s normal right? I have 0 chick experience so I’m not sure what any red flags would be. His poop is also not solid but could that be from his diet being mostly liquids? I’ve been giving him raw egg yolk mixed with the feed but should I scramble the whole egg instead? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!!

Thank you so much!! Sometimes he makes a little clicking noise when he drinks. I assume that’s normal right? I have 0 chick experience so I’m not sure what any red flags would be. His poop is also not solid but could that be from his diet being mostly liquids? I’ve been giving him raw egg yolk mixed with the feed but should I scramble the whole egg instead? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!!
If he is eating it that way, I'm sure it's fine. I don't really know about the clicking. @Eggcessive or @azygous may be able to help.

At four days, it should be eating and drinking on its own, though wet poops are common in the first week. Your chick is sick from the appearance of its eyes. It's likely the chick has genetic abnormalities, and it does not metabolize its calories and nutrients properly. There's a better than even chance the chick will not survive, be aware.

A nutritional supplement is necessary and perhaps some added sugar in the water, as well, to keep its glucose level elevated or it will be too weak to eat. Right now, try finely minced boiled egg or crumbled tofu for high protein easily digested food.

Watch its rear for poop pasting to the vent. This is common in such chicks, and it can clog the vent causing constipation.

Back
Top Bottom