Help with sick chick. Runty? sick? both?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xBRIANx, Jun 17, 2009.

1. xBRIANx

xBRIANx In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    We're having trouble with our 9 day old BR bantam. She's not moving well, poor balance, lethargic. In the second photo, you can see that her crop looks swollen. It felt squishy. As Jennifer gave it a little massage, she felt a release of tension, then a little clear liquid came out of the chick's mouth. The crop seems smaller now. As we've said earlier, we've lost 2 of the 4 BR bantams already. This one, Steve, has not grown well. The two BR were about the same size when we got them:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I'm wondering if she's sick and if there is something I can do or if she's just runty and maybe not viable. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Sounds like it may have been a impacted crop. Is she eating and drinkin now? Might give her some mashed up hard boiled egg to give her a boost. Good Luck

3. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Or a little bread soaked in olive oil, or other veg oil.

4. xBRIANx

xBRIANx In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    She is sleeping...not wanting to do much. i'll try bread/oil if i can get her to eat.

5. xBRIANx

xBRIANx In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    She continued downhill, we put her to sleep this evening. We used the gas-chamber method, which worked well. Initially, I was going to remove the head...this was easier on me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: