Help with sick chick. Runty? sick? both?

xBRIANx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
We're having trouble with our 9 day old BR bantam. She's not moving well, poor balance, lethargic. In the second photo, you can see that her crop looks swollen. It felt squishy. As Jennifer gave it a little massage, she felt a release of tension, then a little clear liquid came out of the chick's mouth. The crop seems smaller now. As we've said earlier, we've lost 2 of the 4 BR bantams already. This one, Steve, has not grown well. The two BR were about the same size when we got them:
f36det.jpg

oho4yf.jpg

fl.gif
I'm wondering if she's sick and if there is something I can do or if she's just runty and maybe not viable. Any thoughts?
fl.gif

Sounds like it may have been a impacted crop. Is she eating and drinkin now? Might give her some mashed up hard boiled egg to give her a boost. Good Luck

She is sleeping...not wanting to do much. i'll try bread/oil if i can get her to eat.

She continued downhill, we put her to sleep this evening. We used the gas-chamber method, which worked well. Initially, I was going to remove the head...this was easier on me.

Back
Top Bottom