Help with sick goose please

sandipuppy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
The little goose in the picture below is having issues. She was a perfectly fine gosling. Then they started growing feathers.

You know that stage they get to where their wings become too heavy and they have to always keep hiking them up? She never even tried to. She just let her wings droop.

A week ago she had a bit of a limp. I figured she just tripped over something, the fool things come running and don't pay attention to where they are going.

Two days after that she couldn't walk at all. I can hold her in my hand, braced on my arm, in the pool, and her legs work just fine. I can feel them and the hip? joints are working fine. Every time she tries to get up she flops over onto her back and she still can't move her wings. We are keeping her in a playpen propped upright with straw. She is eating and drinking and pooping just fine.

Any ideas what her problem might be? and yes, she has a short stubby neck for a goose.

The little goose in the picture below is having issues. She was a perfectly fine gosling. Then they started growing feathers.

You know that stage they get to where their wings become too heavy and they have to always keep hiking them up? She never even tried to. She just let her wings droop.

A week ago she had a bit of a limp. I figured she just tripped over something, the fool things come running and don't pay attention to where they are going.

Two days after that she couldn't walk at all. I can hold her in my hand, braced on my arm, in the pool, and her legs work just fine. I can feel them and the hip? joints are working fine. Every time she tries to get up she flops over onto her back and she still can't move her wings. We are keeping her in a playpen propped upright with straw. She is eating and drinking and pooping just fine.

Any ideas what her problem might be? and yes, she has a short stubby neck for a goose.
Well, she is a bit odd, but no matter.
What is she eating? Is she having niacin? Did you wrap her wings?

We give her free feed chicken scratch plus pick her tons of grass and give her lettuce and cucumbers. Her wings are now up but it's like they are frozen....

I have a theory that due to that short neck maybe there might be some deformity that wasn't hurting her when she was young. Once she started growing that neck thing might be impeding her movement...maybe missing some spinal bones or something in the muscles along her back?

Her siblings are all doing fine.

We give her free feed chicken scratch plus pick her tons of grass and give her lettuce and cucumbers. Her wings are now up but it's like they are frozen....

I have a theory that due to that short neck maybe there might be some deformity that wasn't hurting her when she was young. Once she started growing that neck thing might be impeding her movement...maybe missing some spinal bones or something in the muscles along her back?

Her siblings are all doing fine.
Póor little soul. Most with deformities die early, so she´s done well. Some Brewers´ Yeast in their water would be good.
And Romaine lettuce is better than some others as far as nutrients are concerned. Have you tried pears?

We're keeping her comfortable until something happens. She seems to be in good spirits. Even as a gosling she used to lay down funny...with one leg stretched out behind her like my dogs sometimes do.

Haven't tried pears yet. They get romaine lettuce, spring green mix (most of my veggie garden is for the geese lol!) watermelon rinds, carrots sliced up. Their favorite is cucumber though. Tried tomatoes and they mostly stick their noses up at that.

Do you think she will get better?

We're keeping her comfortable until something happens. She seems to be in good spirits. Even as a gosling she used to lay down funny...with one leg stretched out behind her like my dogs sometimes do.

Haven't tried pears yet. They get romaine lettuce, spring green mix (most of my veggie garden is for the geese lol!) watermelon rinds, carrots sliced up. Their favorite is cucumber though. Tried tomatoes and they mostly stick their noses up at that.

Do you think she will get better?
She eats a good mix of things, then. I don´t expect she´ll become like a normal goose, but you may be able to keep her going along as she is. I do think Brewers´ Yeast would be a good idea, though.

Because she is having leg issues and you are not feeding a waterfowl feed she needs niacin either brewer's yeast or niacin that will help her legs and the falling onto her back.

Back
Top Bottom