Help With Sick Pekin

ohsnapitscharity

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
columbia
my pekin has been healthy up to about two months ago. he has seemed to be picking at himself to the point where he is bleeding. he has always been a good eater and has recently stopped eating all together. he is getting on the thin side. i think he may have some sort of disease. here are some pictures tell me what you think it is or what you think i should do please. any and all advice will be appreciated.

here is how he used to look:
IMG_0162.jpg

and now:
100_1334.jpg

100_1335.jpg

100_1336.jpg

100_1337.jpg

100_1338.jpg

336_duck_b_040.jpg

This is what my little albino Mallard looked like when I got her. She had been picked on by her normal coloured littermates. If that is what has happened to your duck,eventually, the feathers grow back in. Just keep him isolated and boost him with some extra special treats (mealworms and crickets are popular).

Quote:
How old is your duck? Also, is he stuck in that cage all day by himself? Does he have the opportunity to bathe at all? Do you think he could be bored or lonely? Furthermore, what are you feeding him?

he has a kiddie pool in there with him and he is eating whole corn...i would say he is about 4-6 months old and yes he is by himself. he used to have free range of the whole yard but now since this i have enclosed him into his pen

Quote:
My first recommendation would be to change his feed to a more balanced diet. Corn only has about 7% protein, and he needs at least 15%. He should have gotten this when free ranging, though.

From http://www.echotech.org/mambo/images/DocMan/MuscovyD.PDF

Protein deficiency will result in: (1) Poor growth--the duck will never be heavy enough to eat, (2) no feathers--the duck will be cold, sick and will die, (3) no eggs--the duck will never lay eggs.

I'm also thinking that he might be bored, and would like some company.

Quote:
My first recommendation would be to change his feed to a more balanced diet. Corn only has about 7% protein, and he needs at least 15%. He should have gotten this when free ranging, though.

From http://www.echotech.org/mambo/images/DocMan/MuscovyD.PDF

Protein deficiency will result in: (1) Poor growth--the duck will never be heavy enough to eat, (2) no feathers--the duck will be cold, sick and will die, (3) no eggs--the duck will never lay eggs.

I'm also thinking that he might be bored, and would like some company.

I agree with this. Unless the duck imprinted on you and has you for company the majority of the day (which in most cases is impossible) it is likely he is doing this to himself.
Please get a higher protein feed in him. His feather eating is a huge sign of protein deprivation.
And please get him a friend.

Back
Top Bottom