Help with size difference please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Aug 16, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

These 2 were born at the same time. They are muscovies and both a month old. You can tell the one in the top of the pic is alot bigger. That one already has feathers on his tail and starting to on wings and stomach. The one at the bottom is my little Gizmo. She on the other hand has no feathers and is still completly fuzz. They were both born at the same time though. Is she just a late bloomer?

[​IMG]

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Could be a different strain, Internal birth defects, any number of things, most of which you can't change. Just make sure she gets a fair shot to feed and hope for the best.

3. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Any possible chance of her having a dominant dwarfism gene? My scovy, the bigger one, is twice the size of her and is feathering out. They both were said to have hatched on the same day.

Do female Muscovies just grow slower than males? because my boy is huge.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Males grow faster than girls for sure. My male is just 101/2 weeks and already larger than my adult females. I wouldn't worry about anything being wrong with Gizmo, as long as she is eating and getting in feathers. My boy still has some baby fuzz. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by