Help with Slow Crop / Sour Crop Issue combined with Broken Soft-Shelled Egg

slickchik

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Southern California
My 3 yo bantam cochin hasn't been feeling well for a few days.

I found her just sitting in the yard, keeping to herself. When I picked her up, I inspected her vent and found broken egg membranes hanging out. I tried to get it all out but couldn't. I've been watching her ever since and because she wasn't getting better three days later, I took her to the vet for antibiotics.

She is now getting Baytril 2x daily and the vet was able to remove more of the membrane inside of her. After 3 doses of the antibiotics, she seems to be feeling better. I let her go outside and she scratched in the dirt, laid in the sun, drank lots of acv water.

However, I noticed when I first found her, her crop was really hard. I've been massaging it and it has gone down tremendously. And by the time I took her to the vet, there was only a little food in it. But her crop will not empty completely.

She drinks a ton of water and it slowly passes through her system but the grains in her crop won't go away. I do not want to drain her crop because it is too easy to have a bird aspirate by doing that. Even the vet was very hesitant to do it. And when she was at the vet's office, he did something to her that made some of the fluid in her crop come up and it REEKED to high heaven. He didn't want to drain her crop because of her other condition and it's too easy to kill a bird doing that.

The vet told me to not give her food or water for 24 hours. I haven't given her food but I've been giving her water because she seems so thirsty. I started giving her acv today and some oregano oil to help if there is a yeast infection.

I'm just at a loss. Water passes through her. The few grains in her crop won't pass. I'm massaging several times daily. She hasn't really eaten in 3 days. I gave her mealworms and she ate those but that was before the vet said not to feed her.

Should I give her some soft foods? Hard-boiled eggs? Should I continue to withhold food?

I don't want to go back to the vet because of the financial issue and he would want to start doing lots of tests.

She is pooping but its really watery with some green parts, which is to be expected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom