Help with slow growing chick?

InLuvWLife

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Hi everyone- I have fifty 2 1/2 week old chicks- Brahmas, Wellsummers, Wyandottes and Buff Orps. Most are doing very well- feathering out nicely, very active. One little Brahma, though, is remaining very small. When I pick her up, she feels very skinny and her crop is usually empty. She seems to pick and scratch with the others, but I don't think she is eating much. She has no pasting and does not seem sick. She looks the way that the others did at 1 or 1 1/2 weeks old. Not feathering out much, half the size. Any suggestions or feedback from you long time chicken moms?? I am worried about her
jumpy.gif

It sounds to me that she could be the 'runt' of the bunch or at the bottom of the pecking order as I'm sure it's starting to get established. I would recommend isolating her from the others in her own box/tub so she can eat and drink by herself to help her get what she needs. I'd see if that helps any with her feathers/growing/hunger. If she doesn't like being on her own she can go with the others but I would pull her out to feed her and give her some water.

EDIT: If she doesn't like being by herself, another option is putting a few other smaller ones with her to keep her company and to help them catch up to the bigger ones if there are more other smallish ones.

Last edited:
Do as the above poster suggested and keep, or at least feed, her separate from the others. You can also treat her a bit with some scrambled egg for an extra protein boost to help her catch up.

Back
Top Bottom