Help with soundproofing

Pics
Not the rooster
Then go with @Bluebird4 's suggestion and look at Omlet, I have the Cube MK2 and have five birds that roost in it (it has a nestbox too) and am very happy with it. I'm like you, I didn't want to get into cutting and nailing, but can use a screwdriver. However, keep in mind chickens do not and should not spend their days just in their coops. Omlet has attached runs of various types for their coops which are where the birds will spend the majority of their time if they are not free-ranging. Whatever you get will NOT be the answer to your soundproofing question no matter how soundproof the actual coop is. You might think about the privacy fencing / landscaping and location suggestions made here.
Oh, don’t worry. They free range all day. I’m only worried about the occasional early morning ruckus/loud egg song.

How large is your property?

Have you considered making more white noise outside?

I live on a 7,000 sq foot lot in a small city. Our lot is 60 feet wide and 117 feet deep. I was Uber worried about my hens offending the neighbors. So I get your worry. So I went to hobby lobby and bought 4 different wind chimes which stay up year round.

I was mostly worried about the “egg song” at 6AM in summer with neighbors windows being open, so hubby made me a little water fountain with a old hand pump, galvanized steel wash bin, and fish tank pump. It really helps to make more “white noise”...I also run a small fan in the coop in summer which helps them stay cool on hot days, and adds “white noise”. Think about it night workers use things like that to sleep and not be woken up by day time neighbor hood noises. Why not use it to mask chicken sounds? I have 6 hens, one that has a awful opera singer egg song.

I have a good report with all my neighbors. So I asked them. The houses immediately next door (so let’s say around 50 feet away) can hear the opera singer on occasion. But 2 houses down (100 feet away) can’t hear anything at all.

And as someone mentioned before giving away free eggs to neighbors helps too. I send some by every few months.

If someone ever did complain, I actually would put in a small FM radio in the coop and have it playing music. And give that a try too
White noise a really good idea! I currently have one wind chime up. The early morning egg song has got to be my greatest concern. The rest of the time they really aren’t that loud. Other then sometimes one just likes to sing for the joy of singing, she’s got a set of lungs. Putting in a radio is a good idea too. Thank you. :)

I've read all the other comments. I'm wondering. There are some breeds that are more quiet? I just don't think it's that big of deal. My girls don't make that much noise. They are quiet in the evenings and in the morning. They talk sometimes, like when someone lets their dog bother them along the fence. Yes, a little when they lay an egg. No biggy. It's like a car going by. I do know for sure, do not to close the house in, they NEED ventilation. I wish I lived nearby. I'd show you what a girl can do. and give you confidence, so you can do it too. I like the idea one person said, have home depot cut the plywood for you. They did that for my first one. If your city says it's okay, then it's okay. Thanks for caring. But, give your girls a good house, and enjoy. They might have a cat that uses your yard, who knows... relax.
I’ve got one kind of a loud mouth, it’s just her personality. 😂 I’m not willing to sacrifice ventilation. Yep, it’s totally legal here. Someone who’s got to be miles away has a rooster. I heard it at 5am this morning and rooster aren’t allowed, so I really shouldn’t worry. I’m less anxious about it now, thank you for responding.

Back
Top Bottom