Help with soundproofing

Pics

Pioneer Woman

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Well, I’m looking for some suggestions on soundproofing a chicken coop. When I say that I know completely soundproof isn’t possible, but how can I cut down on the noise? You know, muffle it. I’m going to upgrade to one of those OverEZ coops. Would it be easier/better to soundproof before or after assembling? Is there any way to do this successfully? Seriously, talk to me like I’m a toddler. I have no clue how to go about this. The The neighbors I’ve had haven’t had any problem, they have said they don’t hear much of anything. However, a couple closest by have retired/are moving and I don’t know how the new neighbors would feel about it.

IMO, attempts to close up the coop and insulate it for sound are more likely to compromise your ventilation and offer rodents superior habitat than to be effective.

Don't borrow trouble or waste effort on maybes. For all you know your new neighbors may love chickens. After all, when I had my in-town flock the neighbor on one side grew up on a farm and liked the sound while the closest neighbor figured that they didn't mind our rooster if we didn't mind their muscle car. :D

I did take the precaution of locating the coop on a direct line between our heat pump and the neighbor's heat pump as a source of white noise sound masking.

If you greet your new neighbors with a dozen of the freshest, best-tasting eggs they've ever eaten they might be favorably disposed towards your flock from day one. :)

Landscaping may provide better sound reduction than what you will be able to do with a prefab coop. Hedges, shrubs, and privacy fences can muffle sounds, and provide a visual barrier so your birds don't see outside activities, which can cause extra "talking".

For the price of a prefab, you can build a better quality coop with double the space.

No, no roosters. Only 3 chickens, and yes they are allowed. It’s just not a real big chicken community, and you never know with new neighbors.
You never know with new neighbors, but I doubt 3 chickens would be a problem - especially when you’re allowed to have them. I think it’s best to try and keep a balance between being a good neighbor, and knowing your own rights.
It’s usually good to have open communication with your neighbors, but that doesn’t mean you have to make unnecessary changes, or do whatever someone else says. There’s many ways you can approach this; some may feel no need to talk to the new neighbors at all. I hope you find a reasonable resolution, and hopefully you’ll get some neighbors as considerate as yourself 😊

From the website:

• 50-1/4” L x 52-1/2” W x 62-1/4” H
  • Houses up to 10 Chickens

This coop is a mere 18 square feet -- room for 4 1/2 chickens. :(

It has no meaningful ventilation because the windows are positioned to blow directly on the roost, forcing you to close them just when ventilation is most necessary.

If you haven't made the purchase yet it would be much better to build a coop yourself or to buy a shed and convert it. :)

How many chickens do you have?

I suppose you’re right, I shouldn’t waste effort. It’s just I’ve had such a good thing going for years, you know? I don’t want new neighbors to potentially rock the boat, and I don’t want them to think I don’t care about them.
I think it’s great you’re thinking about your neighbors and being considerate. How about talk to the new neighbors, when/if they come. When you introduce yourself with those fresh eggs, as suggested by @3KillerBs, let them know they can talk to you if it’s too loud, etc.

I have the large. Don't bother getting the medium, unless you'll only have 5 Chickens or 8 Bantams.
My large is good for up to 7 or 11 in my opinion, half their numbers.
As far as noise, the coop is well built with thick walls and and an insulated roof.
It muffle's noise very well, even with windows open, probably due to the window screens, which gets dirty quickly. I clean frequently with a brush.
I added extra ventilation and it's still quiet.
20200120_093333_resized.jpg
20190627_093847.jpg
20201217_064534_resized.jpg

GC
ETA; I had 7 Barred Rocks in it.

How large is your property?

Have you considered making more white noise outside?

I live on a 7,000 sq foot lot in a small city. Our lot is 60 feet wide and 117 feet deep. I was Uber worried about my hens offending the neighbors. So I get your worry. So I went to hobby lobby and bought 4 different wind chimes which stay up year round.

I was mostly worried about the “egg song” at 6AM in summer with neighbors windows being open, so hubby made me a little water fountain with a old hand pump, galvanized steel wash bin, and fish tank pump. It really helps to make more “white noise”...I also run a small fan in the coop in summer which helps them stay cool on hot days, and adds “white noise”. Think about it night workers use things like that to sleep and not be woken up by day time neighbor hood noises. Why not use it to mask chicken sounds? I have 6 hens, one that has a awful opera singer egg song.

I have a good report with all my neighbors. So I asked them. The houses immediately next door (so let’s say around 50 feet away) can hear the opera singer on occasion. But 2 houses down (100 feet away) can’t hear anything at all.

And as someone mentioned before giving away free eggs to neighbors helps too. I send some by every few months.

If someone ever did complain, I actually would put in a small FM radio in the coop and have it playing music. And give that a try too

Back
Top Bottom