Help with soundproofing

All you crafty people are making me feel bad I can’t build my own. I’m scared to death of using a power saw, or anything like that. I’ve never used those kinds of tools. But I can assemble furniture and things that are precut and ready to drill, nail, or glue.
Then go with @Bluebird4 's suggestion and look at Omlet, I have the Cube MK2 and have five birds that roost in it (it has a nestbox too) and am very happy with it. I'm like you, I didn't want to get into cutting and nailing, but can use a screwdriver. However, keep in mind chickens do not and should not spend their days just in their coops. Omlet has attached runs of various types for their coops which are where the birds will spend the majority of their time if they are not free-ranging. Whatever you get will NOT be the answer to your soundproofing question no matter how soundproof the actual coop is. You might think about the privacy fencing / landscaping and location suggestions made here.

Last edited:
From the website:

This coop is a mere 18 square feet -- room for 4 1/2 chickens. :(

It has no meaningful ventilation because the windows are positioned to blow directly on the roost, forcing you to close them just when ventilation is most necessary.

If you haven't made the purchase yet it would be much better to build a coop yourself or to buy a shed and convert it. :)

How many chickens do you have?
Oh, yes I know it’s tiny. And I was planning to add more ventilation to it. Currently I’ve only got a trio. I wouldn’t have more than 3 or 4 where I’m living now.

Darlin, I don’t have the skills/tools to build a coop from scratch. ;) I was actually using a old converted shed, but it was just getting too worn over the years. I’m going to put in a cute gardening shed and then the new smaller coop to enjoy all my outdoor hobbies. Thank you for responding.

Landscaping may provide better sound reduction than what you will be able to do with a prefab coop. Hedges, shrubs, and privacy fences can muffle sounds, and provide a visual barrier so your birds don't see outside activities, which can cause extra "talking".

For the price of a prefab, you can build a better quality coop with double the space.
All you crafty people are making me feel bad I can’t build my own. I’m scared to death of using a power saw, or anything like that. I’ve never used those kinds of tools. But I can assemble furniture and things that are precut and ready to drill, nail, or glue.

I am also on the “build your own“ team. (Or use a repurposed shed) Also if your set up is large enough that your birds will be happily confined until slightly later in the day (like 8:00ish) just having them inside will muffle the potential noise until an “acceptable hour”.

For $1300 I suspect you could find someone to build you something. Do you have any relatives/friends who are handy with tools?

Many of the coops in the BYC Coop Pages include plans.

Well, I’m looking for some suggestions on soundproofing a chicken coop. When I say that I know completely soundproof isn’t possible, but how can I cut down on the noise? You know, muffle it. I’m going to upgrade to one of those OverEZ coops. Would it be easier/better to soundproof before or after assembling? Is there any way to do this successfully? Seriously, talk to me like I’m a toddler. I have no clue how to go about this. The The neighbors I’ve had haven’t had any problem, they have said they don’t hear much of anything. However, a couple closest by have retired/are moving and I don’t know how the new neighbors would feel about it.

Acoustical wallpaper/paint could be helpful.

I placed my town coop with blocking on three sides. Deck with hot tub, house,
And fence. All three are taller than the coop. The open 4th side goes over a hill and no other houses for 1,000 feet

Anyone that buys upgrades neighbors house will buy it knowing what all the neighbors have. If anyone has dogs outside they know the dogs will bark, anyone with chickens they know they will hear chickens possibly crowing (most people expect crowing if they see chickens) anyone that has children they know the children will play outside and be making noises. Even if you soundproof the coop 100% they have to be outside & that's when they make the most noise. I'm afraid that all your efforts will be in vain. Your flock needs ventilation so you can't fully soundproof it anyway. I think it is sweet of you to think of them but you have no idea who will purchase this home. They may see your coop & look forward to the sounds, they also be the type that no matter what you do you won't please them. I personally look at it this way, they will be buying the home knowing that you have them.
You can welcome them to the neighborhood and take them a dozen of eggs & let them know that if they would like fresh eggs just let you know.
I wasn’t looking to fully soundproof, just keep the noise down to a minimum. You’re right though, I have no idea what kind of people will be moving in. I’ve been in the same house for the last 15 years and in all that time no one close by has moved, so I’ve never had to even think about any of this before. I’m not as anxious about it now after talking with everyone here.

I think it’s supposed to be on softly for the chickens. Not loud enough to blast over the chicken chatter. No one plays loud music here, but at my parents house the people living behind them were VERY loud. They had both roosters and loud parties with blaring music pretty music most weekends. This is probably why I’m so worried about annoying my neighbors, it was the worst. 😂
We leave a radio on in the barn. Its supposed to help keep bears away. Don't know if it works, but since moving the chickens' pasture area next to the barn, there has not been an issue with bears knocking the electric fence down. The fence always stopped them, but you could see where they ran into it.

Back
Top Bottom