Help with soundproofing

Well, I’m looking for some suggestions on soundproofing a chicken coop. When I say that I know completely soundproof isn’t possible, but how can I cut down on the noise? You know, muffle it. I’m going to upgrade to one of those OverEZ coops. Would it be easier/better to soundproof before or after assembling? Is there any way to do this successfully? Seriously, talk to me like I’m a toddler. I have no clue how to go about this. The The neighbors I’ve had haven’t had any problem, they have said they don’t hear much of anything. However, a couple closest by have retired/are moving and I don’t know how the new neighbors would feel about it.
Anyone that buys upgrades neighbors house will buy it knowing what all the neighbors have. If anyone has dogs outside they know the dogs will bark, anyone with chickens they know they will hear chickens possibly crowing (most people expect crowing if they see chickens) anyone that has children they know the children will play outside and be making noises. Even if you soundproof the coop 100% they have to be outside & that's when they make the most noise. I'm afraid that all your efforts will be in vain. Your flock needs ventilation so you can't fully soundproof it anyway. I think it is sweet of you to think of them but you have no idea who will purchase this home. They may see your coop & look forward to the sounds, they also be the type that no matter what you do you won't please them. I personally look at it this way, they will be buying the home knowing that you have them.
You can welcome them to the neighborhood and take them a dozen of eggs & let them know that if they would like fresh eggs just let you know.

IMO, attempts to close up the coop and insulate it for sound are more likely to compromise your ventilation and offer rodents superior habitat than to be effective.

Don't borrow trouble or waste effort on maybes. For all you know your new neighbors may love chickens. After all, when I had my in-town flock the neighbor on one side grew up on a farm and liked the sound while the closest neighbor figured that they didn't mind our rooster if we didn't mind their muscle car. :D

I did take the precaution of locating the coop on a direct line between our heat pump and the neighbor's heat pump as a source of white noise sound masking.

If you greet your new neighbors with a dozen of the freshest, best-tasting eggs they've ever eaten they might be favorably disposed towards your flock from day one. :)
I suppose you’re right, I shouldn’t waste effort. It’s just I’ve had such a good thing going for years, you know? I don’t want new neighbors to potentially rock the boat, and I don’t want them to think I don’t care about them.

I had never built anything before but got some help from two friends to make something very basic. We had the majority of the wood cut while at Home Depot and were able to make a 8x4x6 box style run (I only have 3 bantams) and I repurposed a dog house for the coop. This is after I bought and resold a prefab that they grew out of.

I live in the city so am always looking for sound proofing recommendations too. My girls get pretty cackly in the morning when they want let into the yard. I’ve tried sound proofing blankets and they reduce the sound very slightly—I hang them around two sides of the run when they go to bed and take them down in the morning.

I think it’s great you’re thinking about your neighbors and being considerate. How about talk to the new neighbors, when/if they come. When you introduce yourself with those fresh eggs, as suggested by @3KillerBs, let them know they can talk to you if it’s too loud, etc.
I will absolutely do this. I just hope they aren’t the kind of folks always looking for something to complain about. It’s rare, but it’s happens. There’s always that one person that you can’t please no matter what you do, and that’s my worry.

I put in my own, I used to be a maintenance person in a factory.
20190513_091220.jpg

I also added ventilation.
20190527_193440-2.jpg

GC

You never know with new neighbors, but I doubt 3 chickens would be a problem - especially when you’re allowed to have them. I think it’s best to try and keep a balance between being a good neighbor, and knowing your own rights.
It’s usually good to have open communication with your neighbors, but that doesn’t mean you have to make unnecessary changes, or do whatever someone else says. There’s many ways you can approach this; some may feel no need to talk to the new neighbors at all. I hope you find a reasonable resolution, and hopefully you’ll get some neighbors as considerate as yourself 😊
I’m known for being really friendly with the neighbors, I make them treats for the holidays, or baked goods just because, fresh vegetables. Always willing to help out with anything if I can. It would make me sad if someone difficult ended up right next door, but I shouldn’t worry until there’s something to worry about. Right? Now a block or so over there’s a complainer, we haven’t figured out who but they like to leave anonymous notes for other neighbors complaining about anything and everything from a dog that barks even once after 7pm, someone else’s fence, or if a car is in the driveway too long. We don’t even have any rules against having your own car in your own driveway. But that’s how it goes sometimes.

I'm lost. Don't the chickens stay outside the coop during the day and sleep inside at night? I know you have the occasional loud-mouth who cackles before laying an egg, but besides the jousting that goes on as they pick their spot on the roost at night, there isn't that much noise coming from inside my coop.

Back
Top Bottom