Help With Run Floor

birgerfarms

Hatching
Nov 4, 2023
Hello from the Florida panhandle.

As a new chicken mom I’ve been struggling with the run floor in our very sandy environment. We don’t have topsoil, we had sand which isn’t conducive to bugs or worms and is just so dusty now that they have demolished the grass. I’m considering a few truckloads of topsoil or pine nuggets - have considered planting clover — really just don’t know what to do with our dustbowl 🤣 on the plus side they have instant dust baths 🙈

Hello from the Florida panhandle.

As a new chicken mom I’ve been struggling with the run floor in our very sandy environment. We don’t have topsoil, we had sand which isn’t conducive to bugs or worms and is just so dusty now that they have demolished the grass. I’m considering a few truckloads of topsoil or pine nuggets - have considered planting clover — really just don’t know what to do with our dustbowl 🤣 on the plus side they have instant dust baths 🙈

I have a mixture of mulch and soil in my run. The soil is on the duster side, so I try to top it up with mulch every so often to help keep the dust down. It seems to be working well so far in my case.

Back
Top Bottom