Help with soundproofing

Pics

Pioneer Woman

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Well, I’m looking for some suggestions on soundproofing a chicken coop. When I say that I know completely soundproof isn’t possible, but how can I cut down on the noise? You know, muffle it. I’m going to upgrade to one of those OverEZ coops. Would it be easier/better to soundproof before or after assembling? Is there any way to do this successfully? Seriously, talk to me like I’m a toddler. I have no clue how to go about this. The The neighbors I’ve had haven’t had any problem, they have said they don’t hear much of anything. However, a couple closest by have retired/are moving and I don’t know how the new neighbors would feel about it.

IMO, attempts to close up the coop and insulate it for sound are more likely to compromise your ventilation and offer rodents superior habitat than to be effective.

Don't borrow trouble or waste effort on maybes. For all you know your new neighbors may love chickens. After all, when I had my in-town flock the neighbor on one side grew up on a farm and liked the sound while the closest neighbor figured that they didn't mind our rooster if we didn't mind their muscle car. :D

I did take the precaution of locating the coop on a direct line between our heat pump and the neighbor's heat pump as a source of white noise sound masking.

If you greet your new neighbors with a dozen of the freshest, best-tasting eggs they've ever eaten they might be favorably disposed towards your flock from day one. :)

From the website:

• 50-1/4” L x 52-1/2” W x 62-1/4” H
  • Houses up to 10 Chickens

This coop is a mere 18 square feet -- room for 4 1/2 chickens. :(

It has no meaningful ventilation because the windows are positioned to blow directly on the roost, forcing you to close them just when ventilation is most necessary.

If you haven't made the purchase yet it would be much better to build a coop yourself or to buy a shed and convert it. :)

How many chickens do you have?

IMO, attempts to close up the coop and insulate it for sound are more likely to compromise your ventilation and offer rodents superior habitat than to be effective.

Don't borrow trouble or waste effort on maybes. For all you know your new neighbors may love chickens. After all, when I had my in-town flock the neighbor on one side grew up on a farm and liked the sound while the closest neighbor figured that they didn't mind our rooster if we didn't mind their muscle car. :D

I did take the precaution of locating the coop on a direct line between our heat pump and the neighbor's heat pump as a source of white noise sound masking.

If you greet your new neighbors with a dozen of the freshest, best-tasting eggs they've ever eaten they might be favorably disposed towards your flock from day one. :)
I suppose you’re right, I shouldn’t waste effort. It’s just I’ve had such a good thing going for years, you know? I don’t want new neighbors to potentially rock the boat, and I don’t want them to think I don’t care about them.

Landscaping may provide better sound reduction than what you will be able to do with a prefab coop. Hedges, shrubs, and privacy fences can muffle sounds, and provide a visual barrier so your birds don't see outside activities, which can cause extra "talking".

For the price of a prefab, you can build a better quality coop with double the space.

Back
Top Bottom