Help with soundproofing

You never know with new neighbors, but I doubt 3 chickens would be a problem - especially when you’re allowed to have them. I think it’s best to try and keep a balance between being a good neighbor, and knowing your own rights.
It’s usually good to have open communication with your neighbors, but that doesn’t mean you have to make unnecessary changes, or do whatever someone else says. There’s many ways you can approach this; some may feel no need to talk to the new neighbors at all. I hope you find a reasonable resolution, and hopefully you’ll get some neighbors as considerate as yourself 😊
I’m known for being really friendly with the neighbors, I make them treats for the holidays, or baked goods just because, fresh vegetables. Always willing to help out with anything if I can. It would make me sad if someone difficult ended up right next door, but I shouldn’t worry until there’s something to worry about. Right? Now a block or so over there’s a complainer, we haven’t figured out who but they like to leave anonymous notes for other neighbors complaining about anything and everything from a dog that barks even once after 7pm, someone else’s fence, or if a car is in the driveway too long. We don’t even have any rules against having your own car in your own driveway. But that’s how it goes sometimes.

alright, i know you didnt ask. but i feel obligated to say DO NOT BUY THAT COOP!!! it’s way too expensive! you would be better off buying something else. I personally love the omlet coops. now i’m not sure if you want feedback, but if you don’t ignore this. I would recommend converting a shed (a carpenter or handyman can do this if you give him instructions) but it’s not quite convenient for only 3 chickens. i’m not sure if you have a patio or run, but you can purchase omlet coops without the run as well. I just love these coops- easy to clean, super happy chickens, predator proof and more. sorry if this sounds like a cheesy commercial, but it really has been the best investment for my girls! they also sell on their site feeders and waterer a that clip in. i even have peck toys and i’m guilty- a chicken swing. :rolleyes: I’m including some links to omlet and how to build yourself a shed, if you found a small shed this would work well. if you don’t like the omlet look, you can try a classic chicken coop. better than the one you included and 1/4 price!!!

diy (or handyman does it -guilty- lol) shed

https://timbercreekfarmer.com/make-a-chicken-coop-from-a-garden-shed/

all you need for this idea is a couple of roosting bars, nesting boxes, and ventilation holes.

omlet site i recommend their

Modern Chicken Coop - Eglu Go​

for you.
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/

classic coop:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/trixie-pet-products-chicken-coop-with-outdoor-run

small shed, if you don’t have one (just an example)

https://www.amazon.com/Suncast-BMS4...r=QWDSAA4SNFANSBQ5T6F1&qid=1616993946&sr=8-12

hope this helps. sorry, i know this wasn’t the purpose of the thread. but omlet coops are soundproof!!

alright, i know you didnt ask. but i feel obligated to say DO NOT BUY THAT COOP!!! it’s way too expensive! you would be better off buying something else. I personally love the omlet coops. now i’m not sure if you want feedback, but if you don’t ignore this. I would recommend converting a shed (a carpenter or handyman can do this if you give him instructions) but it’s not quite convenient for only 3 chickens. i’m not sure if you have a patio or run, but you can purchase omlet coops without the run as well. I just love these coops- easy to clean, super happy chickens, predator proof and more. sorry if this sounds like a cheesy commercial, but it really has been the best investment for my girls! they also sell on their site feeders and waterer a that clip in. i even have peck toys and i’m guilty- a chicken swing. :rolleyes: I’m including some links to omlet and how to build yourself a shed, if you found a small shed this would work well. if you don’t like the omlet look, you can try a classic chicken coop. better than the one you included and 1/4 price!!!

diy (or handyman does it -guilty- lol) shed

https://timbercreekfarmer.com/make-a-chicken-coop-from-a-garden-shed/

all you need for this idea is a couple of roosting bars, nesting boxes, and ventilation holes.

omlet site i recommend their

Modern Chicken Coop - Eglu Go​

for you.
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/

classic coop:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/trixie-pet-products-chicken-coop-with-outdoor-run

small shed, if you don’t have one (just an example)

https://www.amazon.com/Suncast-BMS4...r=QWDSAA4SNFANSBQ5T6F1&qid=1616993946&sr=8-12

hope this helps. sorry, i know this wasn’t the purpose of the thread. but omlet coops are soundproof!!

I agree, it’s very expensive. But it has a smaller footprint compared to a full sized shed, and it’s pretty much ready to go. I’m putting in a gardening shed and don’t have the space for 2 large sheds. I also don’t want the hassle of finding someone to help with a conversion. It seems like instead of trying to use a small plastic shed, it might be a little easier/cost effective to start from a large dog house. I’ll consider the omlet coop though, really I hadn’t factored in a plastic coop as being a possibility. Thank you for your thoughts. :)

I'm a bit confused on why you want to sound proof the coop. Chickens usually only spend time in the coop at night and dont make noise when they're sleeping. Even when they lay an egg mine dont start screaming about it until the hit the coop door. Sound proofing the coop will be a waste of time and money in my opinion.
Sometimes they wake up earlier then expected and start a ruckus. True, it could be a waste of time and money. But if anyone has a tried something simple/inexpensive, it wouldn’t hurt to try it. Thank you for responding.

How large is your property?

Have you considered making more white noise outside?

I live on a 7,000 sq foot lot in a small city. Our lot is 60 feet wide and 117 feet deep. I was Uber worried about my hens offending the neighbors. So I get your worry. So I went to hobby lobby and bought 4 different wind chimes which stay up year round.

I was mostly worried about the “egg song” at 6AM in summer with neighbors windows being open, so hubby made me a little water fountain with a old hand pump, galvanized steel wash bin, and fish tank pump. It really helps to make more “white noise”...I also run a small fan in the coop in summer which helps them stay cool on hot days, and adds “white noise”. Think about it night workers use things like that to sleep and not be woken up by day time neighbor hood noises. Why not use it to mask chicken sounds? I have 6 hens, one that has a awful opera singer egg song.

I have a good report with all my neighbors. So I asked them. The houses immediately next door (so let’s say around 50 feet away) can hear the opera singer on occasion. But 2 houses down (100 feet away) can’t hear anything at all.

And as someone mentioned before giving away free eggs to neighbors helps too. I send some by every few months.

If someone ever did complain, I actually would put in a small FM radio in the coop and have it playing music. And give that a try too

I've read all the other comments. I'm wondering. There are some breeds that are more quiet? I just don't think it's that big of deal. My girls don't make that much noise. They are quiet in the evenings and in the morning. They talk sometimes, like when someone lets their dog bother them along the fence. Yes, a little when they lay an egg. No biggy. It's like a car going by. I do know for sure, do not to close the house in, they NEED ventilation. I wish I lived nearby. I'd show you what a girl can do. and give you confidence, so you can do it too. I like the idea one person said, have home depot cut the plywood for you. They did that for my first one. If your city says it's okay, then it's okay. Thanks for caring. But, give your girls a good house, and enjoy. They might have a cat that uses your yard, who knows... relax.

Back
Top Bottom