Help with soundproofing

Well, I’m looking for some suggestions on soundproofing a chicken coop. When I say that I know completely soundproof isn’t possible, but how can I cut down on the noise? You know, muffle it. I’m going to upgrade to one of those OverEZ coops. Would it be easier/better to soundproof before or after assembling? Is there any way to do this successfully? Seriously, talk to me like I’m a toddler. I have no clue how to go about this. The The neighbors I’ve had haven’t had any problem, they have said they don’t hear much of anything. However, a couple closest by have retired/are moving and I don’t know how the new neighbors would feel about it.
Anyone that buys upgrades neighbors house will buy it knowing what all the neighbors have. If anyone has dogs outside they know the dogs will bark, anyone with chickens they know they will hear chickens possibly crowing (most people expect crowing if they see chickens) anyone that has children they know the children will play outside and be making noises. Even if you soundproof the coop 100% they have to be outside & that's when they make the most noise. I'm afraid that all your efforts will be in vain. Your flock needs ventilation so you can't fully soundproof it anyway. I think it is sweet of you to think of them but you have no idea who will purchase this home. They may see your coop & look forward to the sounds, they also be the type that no matter what you do you won't please them. I personally look at it this way, they will be buying the home knowing that you have them.
You can welcome them to the neighborhood and take them a dozen of eggs & let them know that if they would like fresh eggs just let you know.

I'm lost. Don't the chickens stay outside the coop during the day and sleep inside at night? I know you have the occasional loud-mouth who cackles before laying an egg, but besides the jousting that goes on as they pick their spot on the roost at night, there isn't that much noise coming from inside my coop.

I am not an expert but,...(now my 5 cents coming )There is a product on the market I don't know the name,it's basically thick pulp like extreme thick cardboard. We used it for a suspended ceiling you can cut it with a utility knife . If you buy a coop and add a layer of that Material on the wall inside and underneath the Floor that should muffle the sound a lot.
Just an Idea hope it helps

Well, I’m looking for some suggestions on soundproofing a chicken coop. When I say that I know completely soundproof isn’t possible, but how can I cut down on the noise? You know, muffle it. I’m going to upgrade to one of those OverEZ coops. Would it be easier/better to soundproof before or after assembling? Is there any way to do this successfully? Seriously, talk to me like I’m a toddler. I have no clue how to go about this. The The neighbors I’ve had haven’t had any problem, they have said they don’t hear much of anything. However, a couple closest by have retired/are moving and I don’t know how the new neighbors would feel about it.

Acoustical wallpaper/paint could be helpful.

I placed my town coop with blocking on three sides. Deck with hot tub, house,
And fence. All three are taller than the coop. The open 4th side goes over a hill and no other houses for 1,000 feet

All you crafty people are making me feel bad I can’t build my own. I’m scared to death of using a power saw, or anything like that. I’ve never used those kinds of tools. But I can assemble furniture and things that are precut and ready to drill, nail, or glue.
Then go with @Bluebird4 's suggestion and look at Omlet, I have the Cube MK2 and have five birds that roost in it (it has a nestbox too) and am very happy with it. I'm like you, I didn't want to get into cutting and nailing, but can use a screwdriver. However, keep in mind chickens do not and should not spend their days just in their coops. Omlet has attached runs of various types for their coops which are where the birds will spend the majority of their time if they are not free-ranging. Whatever you get will NOT be the answer to your soundproofing question no matter how soundproof the actual coop is. You might think about the privacy fencing / landscaping and location suggestions made here.

Last edited:
Not the rooster
Then go with @Bluebird4 's suggestion and look at Omlet, I have the Cube MK2 and have five birds that roost in it (it has a nestbox too) and am very happy with it. I'm like you, I didn't want to get into cutting and nailing, but can use a screwdriver. However, keep in mind chickens do not and should not spend their days just in their coops. Omlet has attached runs of various types for their coops which are where the birds will spend the majority of their time if they are not free-ranging. Whatever you get will NOT be the answer to your soundproofing question no matter how soundproof the actual coop is. You might think about the privacy fencing / landscaping and location suggestions made here.
Oh, don’t worry. They free range all day. I’m only worried about the occasional early morning ruckus/loud egg song.

How large is your property?

Have you considered making more white noise outside?

I live on a 7,000 sq foot lot in a small city. Our lot is 60 feet wide and 117 feet deep. I was Uber worried about my hens offending the neighbors. So I get your worry. So I went to hobby lobby and bought 4 different wind chimes which stay up year round.

I was mostly worried about the “egg song” at 6AM in summer with neighbors windows being open, so hubby made me a little water fountain with a old hand pump, galvanized steel wash bin, and fish tank pump. It really helps to make more “white noise”...I also run a small fan in the coop in summer which helps them stay cool on hot days, and adds “white noise”. Think about it night workers use things like that to sleep and not be woken up by day time neighbor hood noises. Why not use it to mask chicken sounds? I have 6 hens, one that has a awful opera singer egg song.

I have a good report with all my neighbors. So I asked them. The houses immediately next door (so let’s say around 50 feet away) can hear the opera singer on occasion. But 2 houses down (100 feet away) can’t hear anything at all.

And as someone mentioned before giving away free eggs to neighbors helps too. I send some by every few months.

If someone ever did complain, I actually would put in a small FM radio in the coop and have it playing music. And give that a try too
White noise a really good idea! I currently have one wind chime up. The early morning egg song has got to be my greatest concern. The rest of the time they really aren’t that loud. Other then sometimes one just likes to sing for the joy of singing, she’s got a set of lungs. Putting in a radio is a good idea too. Thank you. :)

Anyone that buys upgrades neighbors house will buy it knowing what all the neighbors have. If anyone has dogs outside they know the dogs will bark, anyone with chickens they know they will hear chickens possibly crowing (most people expect crowing if they see chickens) anyone that has children they know the children will play outside and be making noises. Even if you soundproof the coop 100% they have to be outside & that's when they make the most noise. I'm afraid that all your efforts will be in vain. Your flock needs ventilation so you can't fully soundproof it anyway. I think it is sweet of you to think of them but you have no idea who will purchase this home. They may see your coop & look forward to the sounds, they also be the type that no matter what you do you won't please them. I personally look at it this way, they will be buying the home knowing that you have them.
You can welcome them to the neighborhood and take them a dozen of eggs & let them know that if they would like fresh eggs just let you know.
I wasn’t looking to fully soundproof, just keep the noise down to a minimum. You’re right though, I have no idea what kind of people will be moving in. I’ve been in the same house for the last 15 years and in all that time no one close by has moved, so I’ve never had to even think about any of this before. I’m not as anxious about it now after talking with everyone here.

Back
Top Bottom