Help with spaying question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frizzled, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Frizzled

Frizzled Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to get my GSD spayed in the near future. I can't decide which is best, the traditional way or getting the laser surgery done. I have heard they heal faster with less problems with the laser. Mattie is a year and 2 months old. Which do you guys think is best? Thanks for your input.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I'd go with the laser as long as the vet has been performing laser spays quite a few years.

3. Frizzled

Frizzled Chillin' With My Peeps

This place has been doing it a long time. Thanks

4. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I've had it done both ways from about $100-$350. Honestly, the laser heals up about two days faster in recovery time right after the procedure. It probably isn't worth the extra two hundred dollars. After paying extra for a couple of laser spays, I decided it just wasn't worth the extra cost. I go to the old country vet who does the regular spay.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had Sweetie spayed a couple of months ago, and had the option of laser surgery. After talking to one of the techs, I decided not to, and Im glad I did. The actual incision was only about an inch long, and healed up in no time. Not worth the extra money, in my opinion.

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I don't think I would spend the extra money - they heal from a regular spay without any problems.

7. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go the regular spay and save some money. They heal really quick and are back to normal in just a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by