Help with St. Pattys Dinner

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Redfeathers, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I bought a corned beef brisket and a head of cabbage. How do you guys normally prepare it? Do you use the seasoning packet or not? I need some good ideas. I made one once before a long long time ago and I remember I wasn't crazy about it...but I do love it when someone else makes it for me...so whats the trick? [​IMG]

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually just throw that puppy in the crockpot or dutch oven with the seasoning packet, some onions, potatoes, cabbage and carrots and just let it cook for a day. A bottle of Guiness in the mix doesn't hurt at all. I'm a vegetarian but I live for those potatoes covered with some cabbage, onions, and carrots this time of year. Make extra potatoes so you can have hash the next day.

3. Redfeathers

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Quote:Easy enough...do you cover with water or just add a little? I cook with the crock pot all the time, but I just don't want to screw this up. lol

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, you want it all covered with water or water and beer or beer....There's a reason we call it "boiled dinner." [​IMG]

5. Redfeathers

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Thank you! [​IMG]

6. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

good luck I hope it tastes devine like the dinner we had yesterday...hash tomorrow yummmmmm

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner [​IMG] I make corned beef and cabbage every St. Pat's Day. Yesterday morning I threw my corned beef in the crockpot with the seasoning packet and one bottle of beer/guiness. Nothing else. I made my boiled new potatoes and cabbage later in the afternoon. Not room in my crockpot as that brisket was big. I also made Irish Soda Bread to go with it. The bread makes some absolutely awesome french toast for the next morning! [​IMG] Had a chilled pilsner glass and cold guiness waiting for dh when he got home. We use horseradish sauce as a condiment with the beef. It was excellent! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by