help with this baby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JennaLynn122, Aug 10, 2014.

1. JennaLynn122

JennaLynn122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Coffee Co. Tennessee
    my friend sent me this. Her broody hen started pecking chicks out of shells and she didn't have an incubator so she put all the eggs under the heat lamp with wet towels surrounding them. All 4 hatched but this one is doing bad. It was still halfway in the shell last night. It detached today and now it looks bad. She has been kepping her belly moist where the yolk sac is so it doesn't dry up but it seems to be absorbing moisture faster than she can put it on. It is trying to walk and such but its belly is in the way. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    To me that looks like it's not just the yolk sac hanging out, its guts are partially exposed as well. It may live, but it doesn't look too good, I'd expect the worst and hope for the best there.

Best wishes.

3. JennaLynn122

Feb 22, 2014
    Coffee Co. Tennessee
    Sorry for not getting back with you sooner. This baby died before you answered but I did get the answers I was looking for in pm with someone here.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Well, no surprises there, it did look dire. Thanks for the followup anyway.

Best wishes.

5. JennaLynn122

Feb 22, 2014
    Coffee Co. Tennessee
    we both figures it would. It was a mirocle the other 3 survived. Mama was pecking them out of shell so she had to hatch them under a heat lamp (no bator) I think this one was first to be pecked at too. Poor babies. But 3/4 in an emergency hatch... Not bad

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yikes, no wonder... Sorry for your bad experience there. Happens to everyone sooner or later if it's any consolation... First time or unproven mothers can never be trusted. I had one peck the eyes and brains out of her chicks. I had chicks pecking chicks out of shells, too. :/

Still, you got some success out of that. Better than nothing. :D

Best wishes.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by