Help with weak chick?

ponderose

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2021
Hello! I have my Penedesenca brooding 7 mixed chicks from the feed store (between 3-5 days old today). She seems to be accepting them, but I lifted her up this afternoon to check on them and found this very weak easter egger bb.
She’s having trouble standing (but can still move her legs and toes) and doesn’t seem able to peep and/or maybe swallow?? She opens her beak and moves her head in an exaggerated way, but no sound, and it doesn’t quite look to me like the movement chick(en)s make when they’re trying to get something through their crop, for example.
She’s able to open her eyes but mostly keeps them closed.
I was wondering if anyone has any insight? I was able to give her a little water and a little honey water but I can’t quite tell if she’s been able to get it down.

I’m going to try to post two videos that I took. Thanks in advance!

Update: she started peeping a little bit, so she can use her vocal chords, but is still opening her mouth repeatedly as if to clear her throat or gasp for air.

Last edited:
For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link, the BYC upload doesn't work.

Is Mama taking these chicks to food/water or is she still sitting on them in the nest?

I'd continue to try giving the weak chick drops of fluid like you have, 1 drop at a time to see if she starts to improve. If you have poultry nutri-drench give her 2-3 drops twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom