Help with Welsummer hen

Devie

Hatching
Apr 18, 2024
I am new to the forum, I have 10 Wellsummer hens that will be 2 yrs old this September
Of those I have a hen that is always off by herself & she eats well enough that she’s a good size hen. I have checked all my hens before they initially started laying & all looked well. Recently I had to check on this hen & I checked her vent & it looks like it’s protruding slightly out side the vent area with a small hole for her waste. I checked her pelvic bones under her vent & they have never widened to the egg producing stage! She is still as she was as a young pullet. Has anyone experienced this with a wellsummer? And is there a possibility she will never lay?

Have you tried placing two fingers between the pelvic knobs? If the vent is tight and immobile and the pelvic knobs are so close you can't get two fingers between them, this hen may be ambiguously gendered. It can happen with any breed where there is not a predominance of either male or female sex cells so hormonal changes do not take place.

Back
Top Bottom